1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A group G is such than a^3 = e for every a in G. Is it abelian?

1. Jul 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let G be a group and e its identity. This group has the property that a^3 = e, for every a in G. What I need to do is verify if this condition is sufficient for G to be abelian.

2. The attempt at a solution
    I found a non-trivial group for which this is true, namely the group {e, a, b} with ab = ba = e, a² = b and b² = a. Other than this, I'm having a really hard time with this problem. I also tried to come up with a counter-example, but I couldn't even find another group with the property that a^3 = e for every a.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's actually a pretty tough question. There is a counter-example. I found it by googling. It's a matrix group with matrix entries being integers mod 3. You can probably find it too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook