A group G is such than a^3 = e for every a in G. Is it abelian?

  • Thread starter Thread starter F_idl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Group
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
F_idl
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Let G be a group and e its identity. This group has the property that a^3 = e, for every a in G. What I need to do is verify if this condition is sufficient for G to be abelian.

2. The attempt at a solution
I found a non-trivial group for which this is true, namely the group {e, a, b} with ab = ba = e, a² = b and b² = a. Other than this, I'm having a really hard time with this problem. I also tried to come up with a counter-example, but I couldn't even find another group with the property that a^3 = e for every a.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That's actually a pretty tough question. There is a counter-example. I found it by googling. It's a matrix group with matrix entries being integers mod 3. You can probably find it too.