1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A gyroscopic rotating magnetic field

1. Jul 30, 2013 #1
    I may be on the wrong page but I had a question. You see, I do not have your math skills so I am stuck with an idea, and I have no way of finding out if I am on the right track.
    Question:
    "Can a gyroscopic rotating magnetic field render inertia mute?"

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2013 #2
    Inertia and Mass

I am unclear on what you mean. Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist a change in it's motion. Inertia is a concept which is quantified in the concept of mass. Mass (technically 'inertial mass') tells you how much mass an object has. There is nothing which will "render mass mute".

4. Jul 30, 2013 #3
    Here is what I was thinking. An object in motion comes to a sudden halt. a rotating magnetic field absorbs the energy by rotating it around the vessel in pulse waves. The speed of the rotation is equal to the speed of the vessel. The passenger inside the vessel feels nothing. Honestly I feel that mass, weight, and size has no value. A gyroscope was made of magnetic bands, and the inside of the gyro was not effected by sudden directional shifts. G force did not exists. The way it works in a practical application a vessel would have an insulating material sandwiched between two conductive coatings: the inside, and the outside of a sphere. It is only an ideal, and I won't get broken up over it if it dose not work. These things keep popping up in my head.

5. Jul 30, 2013 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You are saying that a passenger in a vessel that stops suddenly would feel no deceleration? That doesn't sound very physical. No gyroscopes or magnets will change what the passenger feels.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted