A harmonic wave with a frequency and an amplitude

In summary: We can't teach you physics here, we can only help you with problems. To learn physics you need to be following a course or textbook or online lecture series or something of the sort. We would expect the source of your homwork question to have the material on which the question is based.
Ammar2211
Homework Statement
A harmonic wave with a frequency of 80Hz and an amplitude of 0.025m travels along a string to the right with a speed of 12m/s.
a) Write a suitable wave function for this wave.
b) Find the maximum speed of a point on the string.
c) Find the maximum acceleration of a point on the string.
Relevant Equations
y = f(x) = ASin(2πft + ϕ)

y(x,t)−y0=Asin(2πft±2πx/λ+ϕ)
For part (a), which generic function would be used? either y = f(x) = ASin(2πft + ϕ) or y(x,t)−y0=Asin(2πft±2πx/λ+ϕ) ??

Furthermore how to find out max. speed & max. acceleration of a point on the string?? Any directions please

Physics news on Phys.org
Ammar2211 said:
For part (a), which generic function would be used? either y = f(x) = ASin(2πft + ϕ) or y(x,t)−y0=Asin(2πft±2πx/λ+ϕ) ??

Furthermore how to find out max. speed & max. acceleration of a point on the string?? Any directions please

A wave function must be a function of both ##x## and ##t##. To say ##f(x) = \sin(2\pi f t)## doesn't make mathematical sense. Your second equation is correct.

For parts b) and c), what does the wave motion consist of in terms of the motion of the string?

Last edited:
Likes Ammar2211 and scottdave
PeroK said:
A wave function must be a function of both ##x## and ##t##. To say ##f(x) = \sin(2\pi f t)## doesn't make mathematical sense. Your second equation is correct.

For parts b) and c), what does the wave motion consist of in terms of the motion of the string?
For part b & c, I am confused about how to compute, if you can help me I shall be thankful to you!

Anybody can help me to solve part b & c, and directions please...

Ammar2211 said:
Anybody can help me to solve part b & c, and directions please...
A wave on a string is created by each point of the string moving up and down in simple harmonic motion. You can see that by fixing ##x = x_0## and then looking at how the string at the point ##x_0## moves over time.

Likes collinsmark and Ammar2211
PeroK said:
A wave on a string is created by each part of the string moving up and down in simple harmonic motion. You can see that by fixing ##x = x_0## and then looking at how the string at the point ##x_0## moves over time.
So, how to find out max. velocity & max. acceleration!

Ammar2211 said:
So, how to find out max. velocity & max. acceleration!

How are these defined?

PeroK said:
How are these defined?
A harmonic wave with a frequency of 80Hz and an amplitude of 0.025m travels along a string to the right with a speed of 12m/s.

This is the problem statement, I don't know what's your point!

Ammar2211 said:

This is the problem statement, I don't know what's your point!

How are velocity and acceleration defined?

PeroK said:
How are velocity and acceleration defined?
I don't know, that's why I am asking here!

Ammar2211 said:
I don't know, that's why I am asking here!

We can't teach you physics here, we can only help you with problems. To learn physics you need to be following a course or textbook or online lecture series or something of the sort. We would expect the source of your homwork question to have the material on which the question is based.

The subject matter here is harmonic waves and harmonic motion generally. If you really don't know what velocity and acceleration are, then you'll need to find some material on them. Without that you are not in a position to learn more advanced physics.

Velocity, [itex] v [/itex], is

[itex] v = \mathrm{\frac{change \ in \ displacment}{change \ in \ time}} [/itex]

Another way to describe velocity is "rate of change of displacement."

Acceleration, [itex] a [/itex], is

[itex] a = \mathrm{\frac{change \ in \ velocity}{change \ in \ time}} [/itex]

Another way to describe acceleration is "rate of change of velocity."

You already have the point's displacement, [itex] y [/itex] as a function of time, [itex] t [/itex]. So, find the rates of change, and then determine what the maximums are.

1. What is a harmonic wave?

A harmonic wave is a type of wave motion that follows a specific pattern of oscillation, in which the displacement of the wave is directly proportional to the restoring force acting upon it. This means that as the wave travels, it moves back and forth in a regular and repeating pattern.

2. What is the frequency of a harmonic wave?

The frequency of a harmonic wave is the number of complete cycles or oscillations that occur per unit of time. It is measured in Hertz (Hz) and is directly related to the energy and wavelength of the wave.

3. How is the amplitude of a harmonic wave determined?

The amplitude of a harmonic wave is the maximum displacement of the wave from its equilibrium or rest position. It is determined by the energy or force that is driving the wave, and can also be affected by the medium through which the wave is traveling.

4. What is the relationship between frequency and amplitude in a harmonic wave?

The frequency and amplitude of a harmonic wave are inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency increases, the amplitude decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is known as the harmonic relationship and is described by the equation: f = v/λ, where f is frequency, v is velocity, and λ is wavelength.

5. Can the frequency and amplitude of a harmonic wave be changed?

Yes, the frequency and amplitude of a harmonic wave can be changed by altering the energy or force that is driving the wave. For example, changing the tension in a guitar string can change the frequency and amplitude of the sound wave produced. The properties of the medium, such as density and elasticity, can also affect the frequency and amplitude of a wave.