A homework question that i with

• Thread starter crazy_life
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation is about a physics question regarding a tennis player hitting a ball above the ground with certain speed and angle, and attempting to determine if it will clear a net that is 7m away and 1m high. The person is looking for guidance on how to solve the problem and has a diagram to assist. They also ask how long it will take for the ball to reach the net and its height at that time.
crazy_life
hi, i was trying to figure out how to tackle this physics question, but I am a little stuck. the question is:

a tennis player, playing for a match hits a ball 2m above the groung. the ball leaves his racquet with a speed of 20m/s at an angel of 5 above the horizontal. the horizontal distance to the net is 7m and the net heigh is 1m does the ball clear the net?

i've diagram to help me and I am just stuck about where to start. thanks for helping me.

Physics news on Phys.org
How long does it take the ball to reach the net, i.e., traverse the distance of 7m?

What is it's height at the time?

Hi there,

First of all, it's great that you have a diagram to help you visualize the problem. That can be a very useful tool in tackling physics questions. Let's break down the problem step by step.

1. Start by identifying all the given information in the problem. In this case, we know that the tennis player hits the ball 2m above the ground, with a speed of 20m/s at an angle of 5 degrees above the horizontal. We also know that the horizontal distance to the net is 7m and the net height is 1m.

2. Next, we need to determine what we are trying to solve for. In this case, we want to know if the ball clears the net, so we need to find the height of the ball when it reaches the net.

3. Now, we can use the given information to set up our equations. We can use the kinematic equations for motion in two dimensions to solve for the height of the ball at the net. Remember that in this case, we are dealing with projectile motion, so the equations we use will be slightly different than for linear motion.

4. Plug in the values for the initial velocity, angle, and horizontal distance into the appropriate equations. You may need to use trigonometric functions to solve for the vertical and horizontal components of the initial velocity.

5. Once you have solved for the height of the ball at the net, compare it to the height of the net. If the height of the ball is greater than the height of the net, then the ball clears the net. If the height of the ball is less than the height of the net, then the ball does not clear the net.

I hope this helps guide you in solving the problem. Keep in mind, it's always a good idea to double check your calculations and make sure your units are consistent. Good luck!

Related to A homework question that i with

1. What is the purpose of the homework question?

The purpose of the homework question is to test your understanding and knowledge of a particular topic or concept. It is designed to help you practice and apply what you have learned in class.

2. How should I approach a difficult homework question?

When facing a difficult homework question, it is important to break it down into smaller parts and focus on one step at a time. You can also try discussing the question with classmates or seeking help from a teacher or tutor.

3. Can I use outside resources to answer the homework question?

It is generally recommended to use only the resources provided by your teacher for homework questions. However, if you do choose to use outside resources, make sure to properly cite them and only use them as a reference, not to copy the answer.

4. How much time should I spend on a homework question?

The amount of time you spend on a homework question may vary depending on the complexity of the question and your own understanding of the topic. It is important to give yourself enough time to thoroughly understand and complete the question, but also to not spend too much time on a single question.

5. What should I do if I am stuck on a homework question?

If you are stuck on a homework question, it is important to not get frustrated and to seek help. This can include asking your teacher or classmates for clarification, reviewing notes and textbooks, or seeking additional resources such as online tutorials or practice problems.