Physics Homework Question on Electrostatic forces

In summary: This is why Gauss' Law (which is really just a way of describing the Coulomb force) is so useful in solving problems like this.
somerandomuser

Homework Statement

Charge is distributed on the surface of a spherical balloon (an insulator). A point particle with charge q is inside. If polarization effects are negligible the electrical force on the particle q is greatest when:

a. it is near the inside surface of the balloon

b. it is at the center of the balloon

c. it is halfway between the balloon center and the inside surface

d. it is anywhere inside (the force is same everywhere and is not zero)

e. it is anywhere inside (the force is zero everywhere)

Homework Equations

F = kqq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it would be "a" because their would be more differences in forces the closer the charge is to the surface.
The correct answer is "e". I do not understand why :(.

Physics news on Phys.org
Difference in what forces?

Due to which thing will the charge q experince a force? What is necessary for a charge to experience force?

If you apply Gauss' Law, what electric field is produced inside of the balloon
due to a uniformly distributed charge on the surface of the balloon?

I suspect OPs reasoning is due to charge being quantized but need feedback to be sure.

Ya my reasoning was because I thought charge is quantized.

The question assumes the situation where charge is well approximated as a continuous fluid... i.e. the net charge is very much larger than the charge quanta, and the scale is such that the description of the surface as "a sphere" still makes sense (as opposed to, say, an array of nuclei in a cloud of electrons). In that approximation, the field inside the classical surface is everywhere zero.

This is usually the case unless you are told otherwise, and holds extremely well for almost every real-life static electricity problem.

1. How do electrostatic forces work?

Electrostatic forces are forces of attraction or repulsion between electrically charged particles. These forces are caused by the interaction of electric fields, which are created by the presence of electric charges. Oppositely charged particles are attracted to each other, while particles with the same charge repel each other.

2. What is the formula for calculating electrostatic forces?

The formula for calculating electrostatic forces is F = k * (q1 * q2)/r^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. How do I determine the direction of electrostatic forces?

The direction of electrostatic forces depends on the relative charges of the particles. Oppositely charged particles will experience an attractive force, while particles with the same charge will experience a repulsive force. The direction of the force is always along the line connecting the two charges.

4. How does the distance between two charged particles affect electrostatic forces?

The force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two particles increases, the electrostatic force decreases. This relationship is known as the inverse-square law.

5. Can electrostatic forces act through a vacuum?

Yes, electrostatic forces can act through a vacuum. Since electric fields can exist in empty space, the interaction between charged particles can occur even when there is no physical medium between them.