A Homogeneous Linear System w/ Constant Coefficients

In summary: Consider the vectors x(1)(t)=(t 1)T and x(2)(t)=(t2 2t)T. (a) Compute the Wronskian x(1) and x(2).(b) In what intervals are x(1) and x(2) linearly independent?(c) What conclusion can be drawn about the coefficients in the system of homogeneous differential equations satisfied by x(1) and x(2)?(d) Find this system of equations and verify the conclusions of part (c). I don't understand what the point of (c) is. Where are they going with this? Please explain in as much or
Jamin2112
I'll make this post short.

The problem just asks me to something in the form x'=Ax (A is a 2x2 of constants) and then describe the behavior of the solution as t approaches infinity.

My solution is x=C1e-2t(2/3 1)T + C2e-t(1 1)T.

Since both vectors are multiplied by 1/et, my solution just goes to (0 0)T as t->∞, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jamin2112! :smile:
Jamin2112 said:
My solution is x=C1e-2t(2/3 1)T + C2e-t(1 1)T.

Since both vectors are multiplied by 1/et, my solution just goes to (0 0)T as t->∞, right?

Yes …

but from which direction? :wink:

(and if your solution is for x, not xT, why is it a transpose? :confused:)

tiny-tim said:

Yes …

but from which direction? :wink:

(and if your solution is for x, not xT, why is it a transpose? :confused:)

Should indeed be xT

From the sketch I drew, it approaches the origin along y=x in quadrant 1 and goes away from the origin along y=x in quadrant 3. Correct?

Yes, it approaches the origin along y=x. :smile:

But what do you mean by "goes away from the origin" …

isn't there only one way of getting to t = ∞ ? :confused:
(and what if C2 = 0 ? :wink:)

tiny-tim said:
Yes, it approaches the origin along y=x. :smile:

But what do you mean by "goes away from the origin" …

isn't there only one way of getting to t = ∞ ? :confused:
(and what if C2 = 0 ? :wink:)

The equation was x'=[1 -2; 3 -4]x (wrote the matrix MATLAB-style)

So at x=(1 1)T, x'=(-1 -1)T, and so on ...

And at x=(-1 -1)T, x'=(1 1)T, and so on ...

See what I mean?

In general, I'm confused about these questions about what x(t) approaches as t approaches infinity.

For a different problem on my homework, I got a solution x= 2e3t(1 5)T -e-t(1 1)T. Obviously, the first part, 2e3t(1 5)T, will dominate as t --> ∞. Does that mean the x approaches (∞ 5∞)T?

Jamin2112 said:
In general, I'm confused about these questions about what x(t) approaches as t approaches infinity.

For a different problem on my homework, I got a solution x= 2e3t(1 5)T -e-t(1 1)T. Obviously, the first part, 2e3t(1 5)T, will dominate as t --> ∞. Does that mean the x approaches (∞ 5∞)T?

What happens as t approaches ∞ is the same for matrices as it is for ordinary numbers …

so yes in your example, 2e3t(1 5)T, will dominate, and that approaches infinity along the (1 5)T direction. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
What happens as t approaches ∞ is the same for matrices as it is for ordinary numbers …

so yes in your example, 2e3t(1 5)T, will dominate, and that approaches infinity along the (1 5)T direction. :smile:

I see. Can I ask one more question?

uhhh? :redface: depends what it is! :biggrin:

tiny-tim said:
uhhh? :redface: depends what it is! :biggrin:

Consider the vectors x(1)(t)=(t 1)T and x(2)(t)=(t2 2t)T.

(a) Compute the Wronskian x(1) and x(2).
(b) In what intervals are x(1) and x(2) linearly independent?
(c) What conclusion can be drawn about the coefficients in the system of homogeneous differential equations satisfied by x(1) and x(2)?
(d) Find this system of equations and verify the conclusions of part (c).

------------------------*snip*----------------------

Wronskian ≠ 0 <==> system has a solution

W|(t 1)T, (t2 2t)T|= t2, which only equals zero when t=0.

Making x(1), x(2) into a system of homogenous differential equations would look like

C1(t 1)T + C2(t2 2t)T=(0 0)T.

I don't understand what the point of (c) is. Where are they going with this? Please explain in as much or as little detail as possible parts (c) and (d). I'm ready to learn.

(just got up :zzz: …)

Sorry, Wronskians are not my field :redface:

you'd better start another thread on this one. :smile:

1. What is a homogeneous linear system with constant coefficients?

A homogeneous linear system with constant coefficients is a system of linear equations in which all the coefficients are constants and the right-hand side of each equation is equal to zero. This means that the system has no independent terms and all the variables are on the left-hand side of the equations.

2. What is the general solution of a homogeneous linear system with constant coefficients?

The general solution of a homogeneous linear system with constant coefficients is a set of equations that satisfies all the equations in the system. It can be written in the form of a linear combination of the basic solutions, where the basic solutions are the solutions of the system that contain only one free variable and all the other variables are expressed in terms of that free variable.

3. How do you solve a homogeneous linear system with constant coefficients?

To solve a homogeneous linear system with constant coefficients, you can use the method of Gaussian elimination, which involves using elementary row operations to transform the system into one that is easier to solve. Once the system is in its reduced row-echelon form, you can easily find the general solution.

4. Can a homogeneous linear system with constant coefficients have infinitely many solutions?

Yes, a homogeneous linear system with constant coefficients can have infinitely many solutions. This occurs when the system has at least one free variable, which means that there are multiple ways to express the other variables in terms of that free variable. In this case, the general solution will contain an arbitrary constant, resulting in infinitely many solutions.

5. What are some real-life applications of homogeneous linear systems with constant coefficients?

Homogeneous linear systems with constant coefficients are commonly used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and economics, to model and solve systems of equations. They are also used in computer graphics and image processing to perform transformations on images and objects.