Linear homogeneous D.E. with constant coefficients - known solutions

In summary, the task is to find a linear homogeneous second order differential equation with the general solution φ(x)=C1sinx/√x+C2cosx/√x, x>0. One possible solution is obtained by multiplying the general solution by √x and defining a new function y(x)=√xφ(x). This leads to a differential equation with the general solution y(x)=C1sinx+C2cosx, which is the well known equation y''+y=0. The second derivative of y(x) can be found in terms of x and φ and substituted into the equation to obtain the desired differential equation.
etf
My task is to find Linear homogeneous D.E. with constant coefficients which has solutions:
$$\\\varphi 1(x)=x^2,\varphi 2(x)=e^{-3x},\varphi 3(x)=cos(5x)$$ Any idea?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that here we have root $$\\\lambda 1=0$$ with multiplicity 3 (from $$\\\varphi 1(x)$$), root $$\\\lambda 2=-3$$ with multiplicity 1 (from $$\\\varphi 2(x)$$).

I assume you mean second order.

The solution ##x^2## should come from a Cauchy Euler equation I believe. So I think you need to find an equation of that form by multiplying the roots together to "work backwards" to the indicial equation.

Likes 1 person
It is possible to have [itex]\varphi_1(x) = x^2[/itex] as a solution to a linear homogeneous equation with constant coefficients. In addition, a linear homogeneous differential equation has as many linearly independent solutions as the order of the equation. Since the 3 functions you listed are linearly independent, the equation we are looking for must be at least of order 3.
As a hint, note that any linear combination of the solutions must also be a solution. Thus, the 3-parameter family of functions [itex]\varphi(x) = C_1x^2 + C_2e^{-3x} + C_3\cos(5x)[/itex] is a solution to the unknown differential equation. As a further hint, try taking this solution's derivatives. Can you find a combination using constant coefficients that is homogeneous?

Likes 1 person
etf said:
I think that here we have root $$\\\lambda 1=0$$ with multiplicity 3 (from $$\\\varphi 1(x)$$), root $$\\\lambda 2=-3$$ with multiplicity 1 (from $$\\\varphi 2(x)$$).

You're missing [itex]\cos(5x) = (e^{5ix} + e^{-5ix})/2[/itex].

Thus the auxiliary equation must be a polynomial with roots 0 (with multiplicity 3), -3, 5i and -5i.

Likes 1 person
Wow, I totally forgot equations higher than second order existed ^_^.

My bad.

I calculated characteristic polynomial as $$\\(\lambda -\lambda1)^{3}(\lambda-\lambda2)(\lambda-\lambda3)(\lambda-\lambda4)=(\lambda-0)^{3}(\lambda+3)(\lambda-(0-5i))(\lambda-(0+5i))=...$$
$$=\lambda^{6}+3\lambda^{5}+25\lambda^{4}+75\lambda^{3}$$ so D.E. is $$\\y^{(6)}+3y^{(5)}+25y^{(4)}+75y^{(3)}$$

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks correct. The result is the same using Slider142's hint.

ehild

etf said:
I calculated characteristic polynomial as $$\\(\lambda -\lambda1)^{3}(\lambda-\lambda2)(\lambda-\lambda3)(\lambda-\lambda4)=(\lambda-0)^{3}(\lambda+3)(\lambda-(0-5i))(\lambda-(0+5i))=...$$
$$=\lambda^{6}+3\lambda^{5}+25\lambda^{4}+75\lambda^{3}$$ so D.E. is $$\\y^{(6)}+3y^{(5)}+25y^{(4)}+75y^{(3)}$$

Except that that isn't an equation.:frown:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, =0 is missing! I did not notice.:blushing:

ehild

LCKurtz said:
Except that that isn't an equation.:frown:
Forgot to write = 0 :smile:

Here is another one (this one is not with constan coefficients):
Find linear homogeneous second order D.E. which has general solution $$\\\varphi (x)=C1\frac{sinx}{\sqrt{x}}+C2\frac{\cos{x}}{\sqrt{x}}, x>0$$
Any idea?

What is the differential equation for y(x)=√(x) φ(x)?

ehild

I found it. $$\\-\frac{1}{x}y''-\frac{1}{x^{2}}y'+(\frac{1}{4x^{3}}-\frac{1}{x})y=0$$

Congratulation!
Have you used my hint? It is very easy with that.

ehild

To be honest, I didn't understand your hint :(
I solved it using Wronskian:

$$\\y1(x)=\frac{\sin{x}}{\sqrt{x}},$$
$$\\y2(x)=\frac{\cos{x}}{\sqrt{x}},$$
$$\\W(y1,y2)=\begin{vmatrix}
y1(x) & y2(x) & y \\
y1'(x) & y2'(x) & y'(x) \\
y1''(x)& y2''(x) & y''(x)
\end{vmatrix}=0$$

However, this is a little bit complicated.

[tex]\varphi (x)=C1\frac{sinx}{\sqrt{x}}+C2\frac{\cos{x}}{\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

Multiply by √x:

[tex]\sqrt{x}\varphi (x)=C1\sin(x)+C2\cos(x)[/tex]

Define a new function ##y(x)=\sqrt{x}\varphi (x)##. The general solution of a linear homogeneous differential equation for y(x) is ##y(x)= C1\sin(x)+C2\cos(x)##. But that is the solution of the well known differential equation ##y''+ y=0 ##.

Find the second derivative of ##y(x)=\sqrt{x}\varphi (x)## in terms of x and φ and substitute into the equation ##y''+ y=0 ##...

ehild

Wow :smile:
Your method is definitely much better :)
Thanks!

1. What is a linear homogeneous differential equation with constant coefficients?

A linear homogeneous differential equation with constant coefficients is a type of differential equation that can be written in the form ax^n(d^n y/dx^n) + bx^(n-1)(d^(n-1) y/dx^(n-1)) + ... + kx(d y/dx) + mx(y) = 0, where a, b, k, and m are constants. This type of equation is called "homogeneous" because all the terms have the same power of x, and "linear" because the dependent variable y and its derivatives appear in a linear fashion.

2. What are known solutions to a linear homogeneous differential equation with constant coefficients?

The known solutions to a linear homogeneous differential equation with constant coefficients are exponential functions of the form e^(rx), where r is a constant. These solutions are obtained by substituting e^(rx) for y in the differential equation, and solving for the constant r.

3. How do you solve a linear homogeneous differential equation with constant coefficients?

To solve a linear homogeneous differential equation with constant coefficients, you first need to find the characteristic equation by setting the coefficients of the differential equation equal to 0. Then, you can solve the characteristic equation to find the values of r, which correspond to the known solutions e^(rx). Finally, you can combine these known solutions to form the general solution to the differential equation.

4. Can a linear homogeneous differential equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a linear homogeneous differential equation can have multiple solutions. The general solution to a linear homogeneous differential equation with constant coefficients is a linear combination of the known solutions e^(rx), so there can be infinitely many solutions depending on the values of the constants in the general solution.

5. What is the significance of constant coefficients in a linear homogeneous differential equation?

The constant coefficients in a linear homogeneous differential equation are important because they determine the behavior of the solutions to the equation. For example, the values of the constants can determine whether the solutions are oscillating, growing, or decaying. Additionally, constant coefficients make it easier to solve the differential equation since they remain constant throughout the equation.