A kid falls off the top bunk of a bed, how long till he wakes up?

• Thread starter ADH
  • Start date
In summary, the question is asking how long it will take for an object dropped from a height of 2 meters with an initial velocity of 0 m/s to reach the ground. The relevant equation is s=ut+1/2at^2, where s is the distance, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. By setting u=0, a=9.8 m/s^2, and s=2 m, an equation can be derived to solve for t. Additionally, the concept of conservation of energy can also be used to find the final velocity and solve for t.
ADH
2 kids have a sleepover, one kid falls out of the top bunk. The bunk is 2 meters high. How long till wakes up?

I was told "This is fancy way of asking how long it will take an object dropped from two meters with zero initial velocity will take to reach the floor."

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
ADH said:
I was told "This is fancy way of asking how long it will take an object dropped from two meters with zero initial velocity will take to reach the floor."

Yes it is, so what equation do you know involves these terms? (Remember, acceleration due to gravity is 9.81 m/s2)

Well I know the distance = 2 m. The acceleration is 9.8 m/s^2. So we have to find when he hits the ground. I'm not sure how to do this. That's why I posted it.
Thank you.

the accln may defined as the change (final - initial, i.e the change here) in velocity devided by the time. construct the eqn. and put initial velocity as zero, get an eqn with time, t and final velocity, v, as two unknown quantities. now get another eqn. equating the initial energy of the boy, potential energy here, and final energy( kinetic energy). it follows from conservation of energy concept. thus u can get an eqn with only one unknown, v. the rest is easy.

ADH said:
Well I know the distance = 2 m. The acceleration is 9.8 m/s^2. So we have to find when he hits the ground. I'm not sure how to do this. That's why I posted it.
Thank you.

your relevant equation should be s=ut+1/2at2 where u = initial velocity.

1. How long does it typically take for a kid to wake up after falling off the top bunk of a bed?

The amount of time it takes for a child to wake up after falling off the top bunk of a bed can vary based on several factors such as the height of the bunk, the surface they landed on, and the force of the impact. However, on average, a child should regain consciousness within a few seconds to a few minutes.

2. What are some signs that a child may have a concussion after falling off the top bunk?

If a child has fallen off the top bunk and is showing symptoms such as loss of consciousness, confusion, dizziness, nausea, or vomiting, they may have a concussion. It is important to seek medical attention immediately in these cases.

3. Should I move the child after they have fallen off the top bunk?

If a child has fallen off the top bunk and is unconscious, it is not recommended to move them as it can potentially worsen any injuries they may have sustained. Instead, call for medical help and monitor their breathing and vitals until help arrives.

4. Can a child sustain serious injuries from falling off the top bunk of a bed?

Yes, a child can sustain serious injuries from falling off the top bunk of a bed. The height of the bunk, the surface they landed on, and the force of the impact can all contribute to the severity of the injuries. It is important to always supervise children on bunk beds and use safety guards to prevent falls.

5. What should I do if a child wakes up after falling off the top bunk and is in pain?

If a child wakes up after falling off the top bunk and is in pain, it is important to assess the situation and determine if they need immediate medical attention. If the pain is severe or they are unable to move certain body parts, it is best to seek medical help. Otherwise, monitor them for any changes in their condition and provide comfort and reassurance.