1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A list of Physicist and their contributions

1. Feb 23, 2014 #1
    Below is a list of physicist I compiled, and there achievements. I have sources if you want them. Do tell me if there is any more I should add or anything I should add to their bios, thanks in advance.θ

Richard Feynman (1918-1988)

Developing Path Integral Formalism of Quantum Field Theory, made Feynman Diagram, attended MIT, and Princeton, from America

Erwin Schrödinger (1887-1961)

Contributed to Quantum Mechanics by founding Wave Mechanics and developing the Schrödinger's Equations, and famous for his thought experiment Shrödinger’s Cat, attended University of Vienna, from Austria

Max Born (1882-1970)

Conducted fundamental research in the field of Quantum Mechanics, most notably his statistical interpretation of the Wave Function, attended University of Breslau and University of Göttingen, from Germany

Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Famous for his Theory of Relativity and his Special Theory of Relativity, stated mass and energy were the same thing, fundamentally changed the way we think about the universe, discovered The Photoelectric Effect, attended University of Zurich, from Germany

Niels Henrik David Bohr (1885-1962)

Made contributions to understanding Atomic Structure and Quantum Mechanics, most notably the Bohr model of the atom, he won the Nobel Prize in 1922, he attended the University of Copenhagen, from Denmark

Werner Heisenberg (1901-1976)

Contributed to Quantum Mechanics, he devised his own method to formulate Quantum Mechanics in the terms of Matrices, awarded the nobel prize in 1932, he attended the University of Munich, from Germany

Enrico Fermi (1901-1954)

Discovered the Fermi Statistics, contributed to the discovery of Nuclear Fission, was the worlds leading expert in Neutrons and helped develop the world's first nuclear reactor, attended Scuola Normale Superiore, was Italian

Paul Dirac (1902-1984)

Regarded as one of the several founders of quantum mechanics and quantum electrodynamics, awarded the nobel prize in 1933 (he shared it with Shroedinger,) formulated Quantum Field Theory, was English

Isaac Newton(1643-1727)

Discovered the nature of gravity, the laws of motion, created calculus, and is often regarded as the founder of modern physics. Was English.

Max Planck(1858-1947)

Contributed to theoretical physics, was the originator of Quantum Theory. Awarded the Nobel Prize in 1918. Discovered Plancks Constant. Was German.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2014 #2
    Hamilton, Lagrange, Boltzmann,Maxwell...Pauli ,Schwinger,Landau...

You jumped from Newton to the first quantum guys and stopped there.
    What is this list for anyway?

4. Feb 23, 2014 #3
    Just for personal purposes, I was going to put it on here when I am done so others can have it too. Thanks for the advice!

5. Feb 23, 2014 #4

adjacent

Gold Member

It would be better to arrange them by birthday order.

6. Feb 23, 2014 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It must be a slow day where the OP is, or he's being punished for something.

Anywho, making lists of physicists is pointless when its already been done:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_physicists

Brought to you by the Magic of the Internet[itex]^{TM}[/itex]

7. Feb 23, 2014 #6

adjacent

Gold Member

That list does not have the contributions.

8. Feb 23, 2014 #7

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's why this list is a linked-list, you know, click on a name and get more info on a particular individual.

If the OP wants to waste his time with busy-work instead of learning about the contributions of these scientists, fine.

9. Feb 23, 2014 #8

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Einstein's contibution to quantum theory tends to be understated because of relativity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook