Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A material/ substance that does not allow the through it

1. Dec 30, 2006 #1
    Has any one invented a material/ substance that does not allow the field of a magnet through it

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Google: Magnetic Shielding

4. Dec 30, 2006 #3

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Superconductors also have that property. Specifically, Type 1 superconductors expel flux perfectly up to a critical field where they can no longer keep the field out. This is called the Meissner effect.

5. Dec 30, 2006 #4

ranger

Gold Member

You can read up more on Diamagnetism. A superconductor is a perfect diamagnet, where it keeps magnetic fields from its interior. But a superconductor cannot keep a magnetic field out for all intensities. Once the critical field is met, it looses its perfect Diamagnetism and can no longer oppose magnetic fields.

6. Dec 30, 2006 #5
    thanks for your replies, very helpfull in my quest for a perpetual motion machine using magnetism and gravity

7. Dec 30, 2006 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They're only helpful if they've convinced you to abandon the quest!

8. Dec 30, 2006 #7
    Reading another post about gravity being a type of energy, from which i derived it isn't. Therefore a PM machine using only gravity and magnetism does not break the law of energy conservation. Im sure there's more to it than that, if any could enlighten me i would be gratefull.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=138215

9. Dec 30, 2006 #8

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perpetual motion is simply not allowed by thermodynamics. Please save yourself the time of a wild goose chase. If you insist on continuing, at least spare the poor readers of PF forum from yet another fruitless thread.

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?