A material/ substance that does not allow the through it

• Thread starter scupydog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary, in the conversation, the topic of magnetic shielding and superconductors is discussed. It is mentioned that superconductors have the property of expelling magnetic flux up to a critical field, known as the Meissner effect. The conversation also touches on the concept of diamagnetism and how superconductors can oppose magnetic fields from its interior. However, it is noted that once the critical field is met, the superconductor can no longer oppose the magnetic field. The conversation then shifts to the topic of perpetual motion machines and how they are not allowed by thermodynamics. It is advised to abandon the quest for such a machine.
scupydog
Has anyone invented a material/ substance that does not allow the field of a magnet through it

Physics news on Phys.org
Google: Magnetic Shielding

Superconductors also have that property. Specifically, Type 1 superconductors expel flux perfectly up to a critical field where they can no longer keep the field out. This is called the Meissner effect.

You can read up more on Diamagnetism. A superconductor is a perfect diamagnet, where it keeps magnetic fields from its interior. But a superconductor cannot keep a magnetic field out for all intensities. Once the critical field is met, it looses its perfect Diamagnetism and can no longer oppose magnetic fields.

thanks for your replies, very helpfull in my quest for a perpetual motion machine using magnetism and gravity

They're only helpful if they've convinced you to abandon the quest!

Reading another post about gravity being a type of energy, from which i derived it isn't. Therefore a PM machine using only gravity and magnetism does not break the law of energy conservation. I am sure there's more to it than that, if any could enlighten me i would be gratefull.https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=138215

scupydog said:
Reading another post about gravity being a type of energy, from which i derived it isn't. Therefore a PM machine using only gravity and magnetism does not break the law of energy conservation. I am sure there's more to it than that, if any could enlighten me i would be gratefull.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=138215

Perpetual motion is simply not allowed by thermodynamics. Please save yourself the time of a wild goose chase. If you insist on continuing, at least spare the poor readers of PF forum from yet another fruitless thread.

Thanks!

1. What is a material/substance that does not allow the through it?

A material/substance that does not allow the through it is called an impermeable material. It is a material that does not allow any substances, such as liquids or gases, to pass through it.

2. What are some examples of impermeable materials/substances?

Some examples of impermeable materials/substances include metals, plastics, rubber, and glass. These materials have tightly packed molecules that do not allow any substances to pass through them.

3. How does an impermeable material/substance prevent the passage of other substances?

An impermeable material/substance prevents the passage of other substances by having a dense molecular structure. The molecules are tightly packed together, leaving no space for other substances to pass through.

4. Is there a difference between impermeable and waterproof materials/substances?

Yes, there is a difference between impermeable and waterproof materials/substances. While impermeable materials do not allow any substances to pass through, waterproof materials are designed to specifically prevent the passage of water.

5. Can impermeable materials be used for different purposes?

Yes, impermeable materials can be used for different purposes depending on their properties. For example, impermeable materials can be used for packaging to prevent the leakage of liquids, or in construction to provide a barrier against moisture.