A metric space/topology question

• Thread starter Phillips101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metric
In summary, the question is asking if every compact subset of a Hausdorff space is closed. The answer is yes, and the process of showing this is explained. Additionally, it is shown that if X is disconnected, then there exists a connected component F such that for every x in X\F, d(x,p)>0 for all p in F. This means that x' is closer to p(x) than any other point in X.
Phillips101
The question I'm doing is as follows:

(a) Show that every compact subset of a Hausdorff space is closed. I've done this.

(b) F is a compact metric space. F is a closed subset of X, and p is any point of X. Show there is a point q in F such that d(p,q)=infimum(d(p,q')) such that q' is in F.

Suppose that for every x and y in X there is a point m such that d(x,m)=0.5*d(x,y) and d(y,m)=0.5*d(x,y). Show that X is connected.

--

I don't really know how to do (b). This is my attempt at the first part of (b):

Take a sequence qn in F such that d(p,qn) decreases as n increases. Then by closedness of F, the limit of qn, say q.hat, is in F. This q.hat has the property that d(p,q.hat)=inf d(p,q') as required.

But, in the above solution, I didn't use the fact that X is compact? And I can't do the second part of (b) at all.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
i don't quite understand the first part as it's written there but i think i can see that it would be useful to know that in a compact metric space any sequence has a convergent subsequence. for the second part the geometrical interpretation is that there is always a point halfway between x & y, so if X is *not* connected there are disjoint open sets (etc) & get a contradiction.

Because what you claim is not true of a closed set, the limit need not exist. However it is true for a compact set.

(Try to use a little Tex, it would make your question a lot more readable and more likely to be answered).

Thanks for the quick reply, and sorry, you're absolutely right the first part of (b) doesn't make sense as there's a typo. I'll make it clearer:

(b)X is a compact metric space. F is a closed subset of X, and p is any point of X. Show there is a point q in F such that d(p,q)=infimum(d(p,q')), where the infimum runs over all points q' in F.

Yeah, as you say, I thought that fact would be useful. But I don't really see any holes in my reasoning as it is *shrug*

And for the second part:
Suppose X is disconnected. Pick a connected component. This is then open and closed, as its complement is a union of open sets. Call this connected component F. Then, for every x in X\F, we have d(x,p)>0 for all p in F. So, there exists an x' and a p(x') such that this distance is minimal - ie d(x',p(x')) is the 'closest these two sets get'. And by (a), we see that p(x') is indeed in F, so d(x',p(x')) is strictly greater than zero.

I think that isn't sufficient, but I can't formalise it any more.

Last edited:
To some_dude, thanks for that clarification. And I haven't had the time to learn any Latex or Tex, but it is high on my to-do list. Thanks for the help

I've formalised everything and I'm very happy with the answers now - I appreciate all the help

What is a metric space?

A metric space is a mathematical concept used to describe the distance between points in a set. It is defined by a distance function, or metric, which assigns a non-negative value to each pair of points in the set.

What is a topology?

A topology is a mathematical structure used to describe the relationships between points in a set. It is defined by a collection of subsets, called open sets, which satisfy certain properties related to continuity and convergence.

How are metric spaces and topologies related?

Metric spaces and topologies are closely related as a metric space can be used to define a topology, and a topology can be used to define a metric space. The distance function in a metric space determines the open sets in the corresponding topology.

What are some common examples of metric spaces?

Some common examples of metric spaces include Euclidean space, which is the set of all points in 2 or 3-dimensional space, and the space of real numbers with the absolute value as the distance function. Other examples include discrete metric spaces, where the distance between any two distinct points is 1, and the p-adic metric space, which is used in number theory.

How are metric spaces and topologies used in real-world applications?

Metric spaces and topologies have many real-world applications, particularly in fields such as computer science, physics, and engineering. They are used to model and analyze networks, measure distances between data points in machine learning algorithms, and study the behavior of physical systems and structures.