Higher dimensional FTC in electrostatics: Mathematically rigorous or not?

In summary, the conversation discusses two volumes, V and V', in space with varying electric charges (q and q') and their corresponding charge densities (ρ and ρ'). The distance between points in these volumes is denoted by r. The implication in electrostatics involves a double integral over q and q' and is mathematically rigorous due to the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. This theorem states that if G(x) is differentiable on an interval [a,b], g(x) is Riemann integrable on [a,b], and dG(x)/dx = g(x) on (a,b), then G(b)-G(a) = ∫g(x)dx. In higher dimensions, this theorem is known
oliverkahn
I have two volumes ##V## and ##V'## in space such that:

1. ##∄## point ##P## ##\ni## ##[P \in V ∧ P\in V']##

2. ##V## is filled with electric charge ##q##

3. ##\rho = \dfrac{dq}{dV}## varies continuously in ##V##

4. ##V'## is filled with electric charge ##q'##

5. ##\rho' = \dfrac{dq'}{dV'}## varies continuously in ##V'##

Let ##r## be the distance between a point ##P_1 \in V## and a point ##P_2 \in V'##

In electrostatics, we use the implication:

##\displaystyle \dfrac{d^2\vec{F}}{dq\ dq'}=k\dfrac{\hat{r}}{r^2} \implies \vec{F}=k\int_q \int_{q'}\dfrac{\hat{r}}{r^2} dq'\ dq##

Does this implication has any mathematically rigor?

NOTE: I know:

##G(x)## is differentiable on interval ##[a,b]##

##\land## ##g(x)## is Riemann integrable function in interval ##[a,b]##

##\land## ##\dfrac{d\ G(x)}{dx} = g(x)## in interval ##(a,b)##

##\implies \displaystyle G(b)-G(a) = \int^b_a g(x) dx##

But I don't see why this works for integral over a volume, integral over a surface, etc...

Physics news on Phys.org
@oliverkahn - what does FTC stand for? Some of us mentors are confused.. I'm one of them.

oliverkahn said:
But I don't see why this works for integral over a volume, integral over a surface, etc...
In case the dimension is higher than one, it is called Stoke's theorem.

jim mcnamara said:
@oliverkahn - what does FTC stand for? Some of us mentors are confused.. I'm one of them.
Fundamental Theorem of Calculus

oliverkahn said:
Fundamental Theorem of Calculus
Rats. I had "Federal Trade Commission" in the Mentor pool. Oh well...

(It's always best to define your acronyms when you use them when they may be non-obvious...) :smile:

Likes hutchphd
And assume they are never obvious.

Likes berkeman

1. What is the concept of higher dimensional FTC in electrostatics?

The fundamental theorem of calculus (FTC) is a mathematical principle that relates the concept of integration to that of differentiation. In electrostatics, this theorem can be extended to higher dimensions, allowing for the calculation of electric fields in complex systems.

2. Is the higher dimensional FTC in electrostatics mathematically rigorous?

Yes, the higher dimensional FTC in electrostatics is mathematically rigorous. It has been extensively studied and proven by mathematicians to be a valid and useful tool in the field of electrostatics.

3. How does the higher dimensional FTC in electrostatics differ from the traditional FTC?

The traditional FTC deals with one-dimensional functions, while the higher dimensional FTC deals with multi-dimensional functions. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of electric fields in complex systems.

4. What are the practical applications of the higher dimensional FTC in electrostatics?

The higher dimensional FTC in electrostatics has many practical applications, such as calculating electric fields in complex systems, analyzing the behavior of charged particles in higher dimensions, and predicting the behavior of electric fields in advanced technologies.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of the higher dimensional FTC in electrostatics?

Like any mathematical concept, the higher dimensional FTC in electrostatics has its limitations. It may not be applicable to all systems and may require simplifications or assumptions to be made in certain cases. Additionally, it may be more challenging to apply in real-world scenarios compared to the traditional FTC.