1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A microscope in an electricity laboratory

Tags:
  1. Jan 4, 2015 #1
    Is there any usage for a measuring microscope in an electricity laboratory as a part of any experiment?
    We have a Mitutoyo measuring microscope in our fundamental electricity physics lab which is a course for sophomores.
    We used it for apparent depth in our optics lab which is retired now!
    I'm looking for some experiment to use it again in our electricity & magnetism lab.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Measuring wire diameters in a resistivity/conductance measurement lab. Dielectric strength of various insulators of various thicknesses. Electrostriction. Magnetostriction.

4. Jan 4, 2015 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I remember a pretty interesting exhibit at the Exploratorium (San Francisco, CA) a number of years ago involving Magnetic Bubble Memories. They had a piece of the material under a microscope and you could change the bias voltages (or change something else -- it's been many years), and you could see the magnetic domains growing and shrinking. Pretty interesting visual exhibit. Here are some images of Magnetic Bubble Memories. I'll try to see if I can find a write-up of the Exploratorium exhibit...

https://www.google.com/search?q=mag...PuaIMaUNreCgOAB&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1194&bih=639

:-)

5. Jan 15, 2015 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook