A Monte Carlo script to simulate the activation and decay of cobalt

In summary, a Monte Carlo script written in Matlab was recommended to simulate the activation and decay of a cobalt sample during and after a neutron scattering experiment. The script should calculate and graph the number of atoms for three isotopes (60Co, 61Co, and 59Co) over time. The simulation should take into account variables affecting the number of each isotope and utilize the given information on neutron flux, absorption cross section, and half-lives. Questions were raised regarding the initial numbers of each isotope and how to incorporate the effects of the neutron beam in the simulation.
cnet

Homework Statement

A sample of cobalt was previously measured in a neutron scattering experiment. As a result, the sample has become activated. Write a Monte Carlo script to simulate the activation and decay of a Co sample during and after a neutron scattering experiment. It is recommended to do this in Matlab.

The Matlab script should calculate and graph the number N1(t), N2(t) and N3(t) as a function of time t, where N1(t) is the number of atoms of 60Co, N2(t) is the number of atoms of 61Co, and N3(t) is the number of atoms of 59Co respectively.

Homework Equations

N(t) = N(0)e-λt

The Attempt at a Solution

To start with, I used the given information neutron flux is 1×1016 n/s/cm2. The neutron absorption cross section is 98.223×10−24 cm2. The half life of 60Co is 5.27 y. The half life of 61Co is 1.5 h. Gamma decay is the only decay channel available for activated Co and the sample area is exactly 1 cm2.

However, the simulation is not just about calculation and is supposed to be a process the condition of which is subject to all variables affecting the number of each isotope. Does anyone know how to construct this simulation for the activation and decay of activated Co?

Regards,

Physics news on Phys.org
The program should step through time modeling the decay of each type at each time step. Because it is a Monte Carlo simulation, you should have a random decay of each type with the correct mean and variance for one time step.

FactChecker said:
The program should step through time modeling the decay of each type at each time step. Because it is a Monte Carlo simulation, you should have a random decay of each type with the correct mean and variance for one time step.
It might be more efficient to generate times to the next decay, rather than step through equal time intervals.
If the RNG produces a number uniformly in [0,1), subtract from 1 to get (0,1] then apply ln() suitably in conjunction with the rate parameter.

Likes FactChecker
haruspex said:
It might be more efficient to generate times to the next decay, rather than step through equal time intervals.
If the RNG produces a number uniformly in [0,1), subtract from 1 to get (0,1] then apply ln() suitably in conjunction with the rate parameter.
An interesting alternative. I hadn't thought of an event driven simulation. That presents some complications of scheduling events and figuring out what happens when an event adds a particle of another type which had not been included in that type's next decay event scheduling.

FactChecker said:
An interesting alternative. I hadn't thought of an event driven simulation. That presents some complications of scheduling events and figuring out what happens when an event adds a particle of another type which had not been included in that type's next decay event scheduling.
The way I was thinking of it, if there are three different types of event then you can generate a random time to the next event of any type by summing the rates. You can then decide which type it was by a second random number, comparing it to a set of thresholds spaced according to the ratios of the rates. Would that induce a bias?

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker
haruspex said:
The way I was thinking of it, if there are three different types of event then you can generate a random time to the next event of any type by summing the rates. You can then decide which type it was by a second random number, comparing it to a set of thresholds spaced according to the ratios of the rates. Would that induce a bias?
I think you are right. I stand corrected. They are all assumed to be Poisson processes, so at each event time you can figure the next event time for all types without regard for the past. So there is no need to keep a schedule of upcoming decays events -- you only need to know the time of the next event.

Except that I don't think you can sum the rates of Poissons with different rates. You would have to figure the random time of the next decay for each type separately and determine the earliest one.

FactChecker said:

This is difficult.

The system has 3 isotopes 60Co, 61Co and 59Co. The former two are radioactive, but 59Co is stable.

To begin with, I take that there were 106 Co atoms in the sample. So:

N(0) = 1e6

My questions are:
(1) Do I have to use the relative isotope abundances for natural occurring Co to get the initial numbers of N1(0), N2(0) and N3(0)?

(2) When the neutron beam was on, N1(t) and N2(t) for 60Co & 61Co increase as some of the atoms become activated, but at the same time they decay to stable N3(t) for 59Co via gamma decay. How to take this into account in the simulation script?

(3) Can I assume, after the neutron beam was turned off, N1(t) and N2(t) for 60Co & 61Co would just decrease via gamma decay, and N3(t) for 59Co increases?

I have a script for a single decay process, but in this case there are three isotopes and their numbers are inter-related I think.

cnet said:
This is difficult.

The system has 3 isotopes 60Co, 61Co and 59Co. The former two are radioactive, but 59Co is stable.

To begin with, I take that there were 106 Co atoms in the sample. So:

N(0) = 1e6

My questions are:
(1) Do I have to use the relative isotope abundances for natural occurring Co to get the initial numbers of N1(0), N2(0) and N3(0)?
That seems like a good starting state unless you are given some other information.
(2) When the neutron beam was on, N1(t) and N2(t) for 60Co & 61Co increase as some of the atoms become activated, but at the same time they decay to stable N3(t) for 59Co via gamma decay. How to take this into account in the simulation script?
If some types decay into other types, you should keep track of that. Then the calculations for the next time step will be based on the new amounts.
(3) Can I assume, after the neutron beam was turned off, N1(t) and N2(t) for 60Co & 61Co would just decrease via gamma decay, and N3(t) for 59Co increases?
If that is what happens, then that is what you should model in the simulation. At a time step when the neutron beam is on you would have one set of rates and when it is off you would have a different set of rates.
I have a script for a single decay process, but in this case there are three isotopes and their numbers are inter-related I think.
Yes, they are inter-related. I don't know what simulation language you are using, but there are some that specifically model continuous process like this. Others would allow you to step through in fixed time steps. Others can adjust time steps to be shorter when things are changing rapidly and longer when not much is happening. From the sound of it, this seems like you could just use a general purpose language like C, Fortran, etc. to step through time and simulate the process.

PS. Clearly there are too many atoms to use an event-driven simulation as suggested in post #3, so a time step approach is best.

Last edited:
FactChecker said:
PS. Clearly there are too many atoms to use an event-driven simulation as suggested in post #3, so a time step approach is best.

I have been told that all atoms initially in the Co sample are stable 59Co. I have written a Matlab script for the neutron activation of 59Co to 60Co/61Co using the time step approach. (attached: https://files.fm/u/kutcymnn)

But I don't know in each time step how many 59Co atoms decayed to 60Co and how many to 61Co. How can I inter-relate these numbers?

Oh! I didn't realize that you didn't have that information. So this is more a nuclear physics question than a simulation question. I can not help and will withdraw.

FactChecker said:
Oh! I didn't realize that you didn't have that information. So this is more a nuclear physics question than a simulation question. I can not help and will withdraw.

No, I just realized it has to be done in two steps. 59Co-60Co and then 60Co-61Co, for the neutron activation time. I have the former in the script. I don't think it's allowed for 59Co to go directly to 61Co. But adding the 2nd step into the script is a problem for me as I am not a professional programmer.

If there is a sequence of decay steps, you can take care of that in the sequence of time steps. At each time step, only worry about the direct conversions of one type to another. On every step, some percentage of one type converts directly to other types. On the same step, some percentage of those other types convert directly to still other types, including the atoms it gained the time step before. Make the time steps short enough that you don't lose too much accuracy in your percentages due to breaking the decay steps into separate time steps.

1. What is a Monte Carlo script?

A Monte Carlo script is a computer program that uses random numbers and probability calculations to simulate a real-world process or system. In the case of this particular script, it simulates the activation and decay of cobalt, a radioactive element.

2. What is the purpose of this Monte Carlo script?

The purpose of this Monte Carlo script is to model and predict the behavior of cobalt atoms as they undergo radioactive decay. This can be useful in understanding and studying the properties of cobalt, as well as in other scientific and engineering applications.

3. How does the Monte Carlo method work?

The Monte Carlo method uses random numbers and probability calculations to simulate a large number of possible outcomes for a given process or system. By repeating these simulations multiple times, it can provide a more accurate estimate of the overall behavior and characteristics of the system.

4. What factors can affect the results of this Monte Carlo script?

The results of this Monte Carlo script can be affected by various factors, such as the initial conditions of the cobalt atoms, the accuracy of the random number generator, and the assumptions and limitations of the model being used. It is important to carefully consider and control these factors when using the script for accurate results.

5. How can this Monte Carlo script be used in scientific research?

This Monte Carlo script can be used in scientific research to simulate and study the behavior of cobalt atoms, which can then be applied to other fields of study such as nuclear physics, materials science, and environmental science. It can also be used in the development and testing of new theories and models related to radioactive decay and other processes.