A more direct approach in determining moment of inertia?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
bluejay27
Messages
67
Reaction score
3
is there a directly knowing the moment if the moment of inertia would be lower for an object? I am emphasizing on knowing the value of the constant value. For a sphere is 2/5 and for a cylinder 1/2, this constant values will be placed at c of cMR^2 without directly going into calculus. A mnemonic perhaps?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I take it you know the definition of ##I##, the moment of inertia ? The closer the massive stuff is to the axis, the lower ##I##. And that's about it. You can go through the list and conclude for yourself there's no tricks or mnemonics.
The parallel axis theorem can be useful to translate to another (parallel) axis.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: bluejay27