Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I A multiple-impact origin for the Moon

1. Jan 10, 2017 #1
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2017 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This article about the paper goes into a bit more detail and provides a video showing the current and proposed theories. See also this phys.org article.

I would like to see the entire paper. I don't understand the improbability argument. If it happened, it happened, regardless of how improbable it is. The angular momentum argument might be more persuasive but the merger of moons to form the present moon would have to have occurred while the moons were in a fluid state. The time frame for this merger due to outward creep of the moonlets must be fairly long.

AM

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  4. Jan 13, 2017 #3

1oldman2

Gold Member

5. Jan 14, 2017 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Given the choice between multiple theories, Occam's razor is an appealing discriminator. The giant impactor theory is fairly compelling on those grounds. Fewer loose ends are ordinarily favored absent conficting evidence and I don't see any such that is particularly compelling.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted