A multiplication map as a matrix in Q(sqrt2)

In summary: It says to use the inverse matrix to solve for (r+s\sqrt{2})^{-1}, but I don't remember how to get the inverse matrix. Do I need to solve for A first and then use the inverse? (iv) Am I supposed to solve for r+s\sqrt{2} instead of (r+s\sqrt{2})^{-1}? Since I have that, for the rest:(iv) Am I supposed to solve for r+s\sqrt{2} instead of (r+s\sqrt{2})^{-1}?
Gale

Homework Statement

Consider the field [itex]Q(\sqrt{2})[/itex], viewed as a vector space of dimension 2
over [itex]Q[/itex]. Let [itex] r + s\sqrt{2} \in Q(\sqrt{2})[/itex], and defi ne the multiplication map
[itex]M_{r+s\sqrt{2}}: Q(\sqrt{2}) → Q(\sqrt{2}) [/itex] by [itex]
M_{r+s\sqrt{2}}(\alpha)= (r+s\sqrt{2})*\alpha [/itex]
In other words, [itex]M_{r+s\sqrt{2}}[/itex] is multiplication by [itex] r+s\sqrt{2}[/itex]

There's a few parts, but my linear algebra is really rusty, so I can't even figure out the first step:

(i) In terms of the basis [itex] \{1, \sqrt{2}\}[/itex] express the Q-linear map [itex] M_{r+s\sqrt{2}} [/itex] as a 2x2 matrix with entries in Q.

(ii) If [itex]A[/itex] is a 2x2 matrix with entries in Q, what is the condition that [itex] A=M_{r+s\sqrt{2}}[/itex] with respect to the matrix?

(iii) What is the determinant? Argue without computation that it's not zero.

(iv) Calculate the inverse matrix and show that it is of the form [itex] M_{t+u\sqrt{2}}, t,u \in Q. [/itex] Use this to give an explicit formula for [itex] (r+s\sqrt{2})^{-1} [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly have no idea how to express the linear map as a matrix, and the rest of the problem basically hinges on that concept. The only part I think I understand is that because the vector space has dimension =2, it's going to have 2 elements in it's basis? And thus a 2x2 matrix? But I'm not even exactly sure I have that right...

So just trying to figure out what this is talking about...
I guess α is some element of the form α= a+b√2, for some a and b in Q, right? So if I just multiply out the function...
[itex] M_{r+s\sqrt{2}}(\alpha)= (r+s\sqrt{2})*\alpha= (r+s\sqrt{2})*(a+b\sqrt{2})= (ar+2bs)+\sqrt{2}(as+br)[/itex]
So the matrix should produce the same result if I do [itex] \alpha*A [/itex] right? So... I suppose that means my matrix would be (r s,2s r)?
(sorry I don't remember how to format matrices)

Physics news on Phys.org
Gale said:

Homework Statement

Consider the field [itex]Q(\sqrt{2})[/itex], viewed as a vector space of dimension 2
over [itex]Q[/itex]. Let [itex] r + s\sqrt{2} \in Q(\sqrt{2})[/itex], and define the multiplication map
[itex]M_{r+s\sqrt{2}}: Q(\sqrt{2}) → Q(\sqrt{2}) [/itex] by [itex]
M_{r+s\sqrt{2}}(\alpha)= (r+s\sqrt{2})*\alpha [/itex]
In other words, [itex]M_{r+s\sqrt{2}}[/itex] is multiplication by [itex] r+s\sqrt{2}[/itex]

There's a few parts, but my linear algebra is really rusty, so I can't even figure out the first step:

(i) In terms of the basis [itex] \{1, \sqrt{2}\}[/itex] express the Q-linear map [itex] M_{r+s\sqrt{2}} [/itex] as a 2x2 matrix with entries in Q.

(ii) If [itex]A[/itex] is a 2x2 matrix with entries in Q, what is the condition that [itex] A=M_{r+s\sqrt{2}}[/itex] with respect to the matrix?

(iii) What is the determinant? Argue without computation that it's not zero.

(iv) Calculate the inverse matrix and show that it is of the form [itex] M_{t+u\sqrt{2}}, t,u \in Q. [/itex] Use this to give an explicit formula for [itex] (r+s\sqrt{2})^{-1} [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly have no idea how to express the linear map as a matrix, and the rest of the problem basically hinges on that concept. The only part I think I understand is that because the vector space has dimension =2, it's going to have 2 elements in it's basis? And thus a 2x2 matrix? But I'm not even exactly sure I have that right...

So just trying to figure out what this is talking about...
I guess α is some element of the form α= a+b√2, for some a and b in Q, right? So if I just multiply out the function...
[itex] M_{r+s\sqrt{2}}(\alpha)= (r+s\sqrt{2})*\alpha= (r+s\sqrt{2})*(a+b\sqrt{2})= (ar+2bs)+\sqrt{2}(as+br)[/itex]
So the matrix should produce the same result if I do [itex] \alpha*A [/itex] right? So... I suppose that means my matrix would be (r s,2s r)?
(sorry I don't remember how to format matrices)

It depends a bit on whether you want to picture the vector representing ##\alpha## as a column vector and let A act on the right, so the result is ##A \alpha## or have ##\alpha## be a row vector and act on the left, so it's ##\alpha A##. You've got the right matrix for the last case. If it's the first case you just need to take the transpose.

Dick said:
It depends a bit on whether you want to picture the vector representing ##\alpha## as a column vector and let A act on the right, so the result is ##A \alpha## or have ##\alpha## be a row vector and act on the left, so it's ##\alpha A##. You've got the right matrix for the last case. If it's the first case you just need to take the transpose.

Ah thank goodness I figured something out! Would ##A \alpha## be the more proper way of writing it out then?

Since I have that, for the rest:
(ii) if [itex] A= \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
a & b \\
c & d \end{array} \right)[/itex] Then based on my matrix from part (i), a=d and 2b=c would work? Or does a also have to be a multiple of r, and b a multiple of s?

(iii) I'm a little confused about this... I guess since the determinant would be r2-2s2 and r,s are rational by definition, r2-2s2=0 would imply r2=2s2 → √2 is rational if both s,r≠0. Which is equivalent to saying r+s√2=0. I'm not sure if what I did counts as calculation.

(iv) The inverse is found in the traditional way for a 2x2, but I'm not really sure how it gives me (r+s√2)-1

Gale said:
Ah thank goodness I figured something out! Would ##A \alpha## be the more proper way of writing it out then?

Since I have that, for the rest:
(ii) if [itex] A= \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
a & b \\
c & d \end{array} \right)[/itex] Then based on my matrix from part (i), a=d and 2b=c would work? Or does a also have to be a multiple of r, and b a multiple of s?

(iii) I'm a little confused about this... I guess since the determinant would be r2-2s2 and r,s are rational by definition, r2-2s2=0 would imply r2=2s2 → √2 is rational if both s,r≠0. Which is equivalent to saying r+s√2=0. I'm not sure if what I did counts as calculation.

(iv) The inverse is found in the traditional way for a 2x2, but I'm not really sure how it gives me (r+s√2)-1

##A \alpha## is probably more common. In which case a matrix [itex] A= \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
r & 2s \\
s & r \end{array} \right)[/itex] will do the job. For iii) you've got it. If r and s are rational then the only noninvertible matrix is zero because the square root of 2 is irrational. For (iv) if you find the inverse matrix style and then convert back to r and s you should get the same thing as the matrix of (r+s√2)^(-1), shouldn't you?

1. What is a multiplication map in Q(sqrt2)?

A multiplication map in Q(sqrt2) is a mathematical function that takes two numbers in the field Q(sqrt2) (the set of numbers of the form a + b*sqrt(2), where a and b are rational numbers) and returns their product. It is often represented as a matrix with entries in Q(sqrt2).

2. What is the purpose of representing a multiplication map as a matrix in Q(sqrt2)?

Representing a multiplication map as a matrix in Q(sqrt2) allows us to perform calculations and manipulations on the map using matrix operations, which can be easier and more efficient than working with the map directly. It also allows us to use linear algebra techniques to study the properties of the map.

3. How is a multiplication map as a matrix in Q(sqrt2) different from a regular multiplication matrix?

A multiplication map as a matrix in Q(sqrt2) is different from a regular multiplication matrix in that its entries are elements of Q(sqrt2) instead of just real numbers. This means that the operations on the map may not follow the same rules as regular matrices, and we must take into account the special properties of Q(sqrt2) when working with the map.

4. Can multiplication maps in Q(sqrt2) be represented as matrices in other fields?

Yes, multiplication maps can be represented as matrices in any field that contains Q(sqrt2) as a subset. This includes fields such as the real numbers, complex numbers, and even other number systems such as the Gaussian integers.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying multiplication maps as matrices in Q(sqrt2)?

Studying multiplication maps as matrices in Q(sqrt2) has applications in various fields such as signal processing, coding theory, and cryptography. It can also help us understand the properties of number systems and develop new mathematical techniques for solving problems.