1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving that the intersection of two sets is a subset of Q?

1. Mar 8, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "Let ##U={p+r\sqrt{2}:p,r∈ℚ}## and let ##V={a+b\sqrt{7}:a,b∈ℚ}##. Show that ##ℚ⊆U∩V##. Then show that ##U∩V⊆ℚ## and conclude that ##U∩V=ℚ##."

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I only knew how to prove the first part. That is:

(1)
    "Suppose that ##ℚ⊄U∩V##. This implies that ##∃x∈ℚ## such that ##x∉U## and ##x∉V##. But since ##ℚ⊂U## and ##ℚ⊂V##, it follows that there does not exist an ##x∈ℚ⊂U## such that ##x∉U##. Similarly, there exist no ##x∈ℚ⊂V## such that ##x∉V##."

I'm also ambivalent about saying that ##ℚ⊂U## when I haven't proven yet that ##∃q## such that ##p+q\sqrt{2}∉ℚ##. I'm thinking about just changing it to ##ℚ⊆U##.

(2)
    ##{p+r\sqrt{2}:p,r∈ℚ}∩{a+b\sqrt{7}:a,b∈ℚ}##

And here is where I got stuck; proving that if ##r≠0##, then ##p+r\sqrt{2}∉V##. Similarly, I was unable to prove that ##a+b\sqrt{7}∉U##. Basically, I'm trying to prove that every element of an intersection whose elements I am unable to properly identify. I'm thinking of just doing it one piece at a time:

"Suppose ##p+r\sqrt{2}∈V##. Then we can say that ##p+r\sqrt{2}=a+b\sqrt{7}##. With algebra, I get: ##\sqrt{2}=\frac{1}{r}(s+b\sqrt{7})## where ##s=a-p##. Squaring both sides gives me ##2=\frac{1}{r}(s^2+2bs\sqrt{7}+7b^2)##. However, contradicts the fact that ##2## is a prime number, since it can only be written as the product of two integers: itself and ##1##."

That's only proving that any element of ##U## with ##r≠0## is an element of ##V##, and I don't even think I'd be done, since I cannot rule out the possibility that ##s+b\sqrt{7}=1## and ##\frac{1}{r}=2##; or the possibility that ##\frac{1}{r}=1## and ##s+b\sqrt{7}=\sqrt{2}##.

I was given a hint that I needed to use the fact that ##\sqrt{14}∉ℚ## for the second part...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2017 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Think about what the elements of ##U \cap V## can be. It's also helpful to think about things from a vector space perspective. If you have a nonzero element q of ##\mathbb{Q}## (a rational number), any other rational number is some (rational) multiple of q. In linear algebra terms, q spans ##\mathbb{Q}##. Set U can be thought of as all linear combinations of elements from ##\mathbb{Q}## and ##\sqrt 2##. With set U, you get all possible rational numbers, plus something else -- all rational multiples of ##\sqrt 2##. Set V is something like this, with all possible rational numbers, plus all rational multiples of ##\sqrt 7##.

So I'm really thinking of U as being spanned by two "vectors" -- 1 and ##\sqrt 2##, and V being spanned by a different set of vectors -- 1 and ##\sqrt 7##. What do the two sets have in common?

4. Mar 8, 2017 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That should be ##x∉U## OR ##x∉V##.

In any case, your proof seems unnecessarily complicated. If ##x \in \mathbb{Q}##, what can you say about ##x + 0\sqrt{2}## and ##x+0\sqrt{7}##?

5. Mar 9, 2017 #4
    They have ##1## as that common element. So how would I express the fact that the sets are in different planes, except at the ##ℚ## axis (so to speak) where they intersect?

They're both elements of ##U## and ##V##.

6. Mar 9, 2017 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

If ##x \in U\cap V##, you have ##x = p+r\sqrt{2} = a+b\sqrt{7}##. Rearrange terms to get ##p-a = b\sqrt{7}-r\sqrt{2}## and then square both sides. See where that takes you.

7. Mar 9, 2017 #6
    Let's see...

##p^2-2pa+a^2=7b^2-2br\sqrt{14}+2r^2##
    ##-\frac{p^2-2pa+a^2-7b^2-2r^2}{2br}=\sqrt{14}##

So I get the contradiction that ##\sqrt{14}## is supposed to be irrational? Or is it to early to say that?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  8. Mar 9, 2017 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

???
    ##\sqrt{14}## is irrational. The left side, ##p^2 - 2pa + a^2## is rational, as are ##7b^2## and ##2r^2##. Can you have a rational number on one side of an equation, and an irrational one on the other side?

9. Mar 9, 2017 #8
    No; and that's where I would get the contradiction from. Okay, I think I got my answer. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted