A "neat set of reactions" that makes fuel on Mars

In summary, a character in The Martian explains that through a set of chemical reactions with the Martian atmosphere, 13 kilograms of fuel can be produced for every 1 kilogram of hydrogen brought to Mars. The author took great pains to be accurate and used either hydrogen peroxide or the Sabatier reaction to produce the fuel. However, all of these processes require an input of energy and it is not specified where this energy comes from in the book.
sciencegem
Hi,

I'm reading The Martian by Andy Weir (fantastic book). A character, describing how a Mars mission works, says of fueling their ascent vehicle:

"Through a neat set of chemical reactions with the Martian atmosphere, for every kilogram of hydrogen you bring to Mars, you can make thirteen kilograms of fuel. It's a slow process, though. It takes twenty-four months to fill the tank."

Usually I don't concern myself much with the scientific accuracy of particulars in SciFi, but this author took great pains to be accurate so I don't believe he pulled those numbers out of a hat. I'm assuming by "Martian atmosphere" he means CO2, the fact that they're using hydrogen makes me think they're creating hydrocarbons. Assuming they use product oxygen as fuel as well as the hydrocarbons (would that work?? I really know nothing of this stuff), I can't figure out what "neat set of chemical reactions" gets the Mars mission nearly 13kg of fuel for every 1kg of hydrogen. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm not sure but in Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars series, the fuel they used on Mars was Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2). Maybe they're related.

Nothing I can think of produces 13 kg per 1 kg of hydrogen.

Sabatier reaction - producing CH4 - yields either 2 or 4 kg of methane per 1 kg of hydrogen used (depends on whether you assume the byproduct to be oxygen, or water).

Hydrogen peroxide production yields almost 17 kg of the compound per 1 kg of hydrogen used (unless there are some byproducts in which hydrogen is lost, that could account for the final ratio o 1:13).

Production of hydrazine yields up to 8 kg per each kg of hydrogen.

Thanks guys! Never thought of hydrogen peroxide...I'm assuming the oxygen would come from the carbon dioxide in Mar's atmosphere? Where'd the carbon go?One reaction I found would produce carbon monoxide and oxygen, and if I've calculated things right there'd be more than 13kg of carbon monoxide and oxygen for every kg of hydrogen (CO2 + H2 -> CO +H2O). Problem is it appears this reaction would involve extreme temperatures (400C) and the electrolysis of the water to free the oxygen. Also there's only +13kg of fuel if carbon monoxide can be used as fuel. What's the feasibility of this?

Neither of the processes mentioned is "free" - they all require input of the energy. Where does the energy come from is another problem, but you can be sure you need an energy source in all possible cases. 400 °C is not that high for an industrial synthesis.

sciencegem said:
great pains to be accurate so I don't believe he pulled those numbers out of a hat.
You don't really want to know from where they came.

Likes sciencegem, Chestermiller and phinds
Thanks for all the input guys! I'll look up benzene syntheses. Also for any future readers of this thread I found this very interesting: http://web.stanford.edu/~cantwell/Recent_publications/Boiron_AIAA_2013-3899.pdf

1. What is a "neat set of reactions" for making fuel on Mars?

A "neat set of reactions" refers to a series of chemical reactions that can be used to produce fuel on Mars. This fuel can then be used for various purposes, such as powering spacecraft or providing fuel for future human settlements on the planet.

2. Why is it important to have a way to make fuel on Mars?

Mars has a very thin atmosphere and lacks many of the resources that are readily available on Earth. This makes it difficult and expensive to transport fuel from Earth to Mars. Having a way to produce fuel on Mars would greatly reduce the cost and complexity of future missions to the planet.

3. What are the key components needed for this "neat set of reactions" to work?

The key components needed for this process include a source of energy, such as solar or nuclear power, and raw materials such as carbon dioxide and water, which are abundant on Mars. The reactions also require specific catalysts and chemical processes to convert these materials into usable fuel.

4. How does this "neat set of reactions" differ from traditional methods of producing fuel?

Traditional methods of producing fuel on Earth involve using fossil fuels or biomass as a source of energy. This "neat set of reactions" utilizes the resources and environment unique to Mars, such as its atmosphere and soil, to produce fuel without relying on traditional methods.

5. What are the potential benefits of having a way to make fuel on Mars?

The ability to produce fuel on Mars has numerous potential benefits, such as reducing the cost of future missions and enabling longer stays on the planet. It could also pave the way for future human settlements on Mars and make the planet more self-sufficient and sustainable for future exploration and research.