Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing A new and improved Eta Carina image

1. May 31, 2016 #1

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Really been spending time in Photoshop practicing astro image editing ... purchased a set of astro-imaging actions called Astronomy Tools Actions Set
    http://www.prodigitalsoftware.com/Astronomy_Tools_For_Full_… ....
    this is an actions addition for Photoshop

I have been following a video .... http://www.myastronomyjournal.com/DSL…/C002-M31-Walkthrough/
    where this guy makes use of many of the action processes with the end result that I have been able to do a new and improved rendition of my Eta Carina image set. 8 x 30sec images stacked in DSS saved as a 16bit TIFF then imported into PS for processing
    The 8 images that I used were ones I took back in Feb. of this year

8 x 30sec exposures, 400mm, f5.6, ISO3200 on my Canon 5D Mk3

2016-02 Eta Carina 8x30sec PSeditedsm.jpg

Firstly the 8 RAW images plus 4 x "dark" images from the camera are stacked in DSS ( Deep Sky Stacker), saved as a 16bit TIFF and then loaded into Photoshop for processing
    See this thread for recent discussions on using DSS
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/deep-space-imaging-and-stacking-images-for-less-noise.872921/

cheers
    Dave

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2016 #2

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Outstanding Dave! Really nice picture. :smile:

4. May 31, 2016 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks mate :wink:

it's a steep learning curve, Photoshop has so many featured and I'm really only scratching the surface
    My processing skills are slowly improving

Dave

5. May 31, 2016 #4

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're doing quite well so far. I was looking at an APOD photo the other day wondering how amateurs manage to get such great colors.

6. May 31, 2016 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

thank you

lots and lots if fine processing .... there's many very talented photoshop users out there :wink:
    I had 8 x 30 sec images = 4 minutes of total exposure time. That APOD image probably has many more consisting of longer individual exposures
    Am working on getting my new tracking system up and running so that I can start doing around 5 minute exposures instead of 30 sec, then stacking a whole bunch of 5 minute exposures.
    Then you will see a whole new level to my imaging results :smile:

D

7. May 31, 2016 #6

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll look forward to it. :woot:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted