Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestion New And Improved PF Look[Easier to Browse]

1. Jan 30, 2013 #1
    in this 21st century where time is the most important thing it is a pain to scroll down the home page to select the topics of our choice what i suggest to this is using tabs(Like tabs in browsers like chrome and FF) here is a sample of what i mean

uZkFrYD.jpg

It would be really easy to check out the sections if it was in this format and quite time saving too. What do you think guyz

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I like the lay-out as it is now because you get an overview of every forum at once. Clicking tabs is going to be more annoying for me.

4. Jan 30, 2013 #3
    Actually when you get used to it its aloooot easier.

Every topic in a single page as it currently is gives a clumpsy and messy look.

Imagine your current browser had no tabs and all the websites were shown on a single page?? you will understand what i am trying to say

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  5. Jan 30, 2013 #4
    Sold! I'll make the changes tomorrow! :D

6. Jan 30, 2013 #5
    lol really? thats awesome :blushing:

so do i get something like a reward for the idea :tongue2:

7. Jan 30, 2013 #6

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Personally I'd rather keep it the way it is. I very much like being able to simply scroll down and browse through the various forums since they show the most recent thread and post underneath the link.

8. Jan 30, 2013 #7

Drakkith

I wouldn't get your hopes up. It's likely Greg is simply joking.
    Between you and I he's REALLY bad at letting it be known.

9. Jan 30, 2013 #8

Evo

I also think it's a bad idea. If I have to look for threads by clicking tabs, I will miss a lot of threads. Having it all viewable on one page just makes more sense. Won't making it harder to find threads reduce the number of posts? New members won't see things that interest them, so we could lose them. If it's not viewable on the homepage, what is going to make them dig for topics?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  10. Jan 30, 2013 #9

Drakkith

True. I have been to many websites where I have to spend far too much time searching for something on a sidebar just to get to where I wanted to be at. And that's if I even know to do that.

11. Jan 30, 2013 #10

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Really? I remember turning pink once. And didn't everything get redirected to Evo profile once?

12. Jan 30, 2013 #11
    I remember everyone having Evo's avatar once.

I like his idea. There are some forums here that I never browse. Mostly because I don't have the time to browse all of them. It would be nice to have just the ones I'm most interested in listed.

If you're using Firefox you can do something very similar to what the op suggests. Open all the sub forums that you like into separate tabs. Right click on any tab and select "Bookmark all tabs". You will be prompted for a folder name. Name it "Physics Forums". There you have it. You can either select the subforum you want individually, or you can right click on "Physics Forums" and select "Open All in Tabs".

13. Jan 30, 2013 #12

Evo

Therein lies the problem from the viewpoint of encouraging people to find more items of interest and stick around. I know many people that have said that they came here for one question, got their answer, but then noticed all of the other topics and got hooked. They would have left and never returned otherwise.

If there is a way Greg can make blocking out the rest of the forum an option to people that have only one interest, but leave the homepage as an easy and quick way to browse what's going on for the rest of us, then ok.

14. Jan 30, 2013 #13

jedishrfu

For me the textbook forum presents a problem of knowing if a textbook has been listed or not because there's no index by title or author

15. Jan 30, 2013 #14

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, I know. But I'm working on that. Patience :smile:

16. Jan 30, 2013 #15

Drakkith

Yes, it was a bleak, desolate time in PF history. All that remember it label it the "Age of Strife" and pray that it never occurs again.

17. Jan 30, 2013 #16

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Oh God. The memories... It's all coming back to me... :cry:

18. Jan 30, 2013 #17

jhae2.718

Gold Member

I have a 1200x1920 monitor. :)

Portrait monitors make pretty much everything except games nicer.

19. Jan 30, 2013 #18

jedishrfu

Hey Thanks Micro! That will really help.

20. Jan 30, 2013 #19
    I kind of like it

JuvaizB.png

I mine as well include my own suggestion for the site, as well

umkWYQ1.png

I don't know, it's not that great of an idea, but I'd be pretty surprised if the forum doesn't look like this tomorrow morning.

21. Jan 31, 2013 #20

jedishrfu

why not go retro with a steampunk motif

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook