Mentor
- 50,920
- 26,950
@Jacob Barandes welcome to Physics Forums!
Welcome to PF! This is a community you may want to reconsider. We have rather strict quality and civility guidelines.Jacob Barandes said:I don't engage in technical discussions on internet forums.
So, you joined the forums to say that you are not going to participate!Jacob Barandes said:Oh, the civility and standards are great! That's clear from the thread! My firm rule about getting into technical discussions online is primarily a matter of time-management. I hope that's okay, and so sorry about this. –Jacob Barandes
P.S. And sorry in advance to those who email me for the slowness of my replies!
It is nice of you to be careful with Barandes's time. However, I guess you can still contact him later, if you wish.pines-demon said:If anybody contacted Barandes (I haven't) and gets a response, please consider sharing his answer with us (ask him if you can anyway).
Since Jacob joined the forums, he can share himself whatever parts of my email and his answers that he wish. Since he doesn't want to go into technical discussions online, I won't use such sharing as an excuse to start such a discussion. However, if the shared parts of my email should feel to selective to me, I reserve the right to share more of the surrounding context of the shared parts of my email.martinbn said:So, you joined the forums to say that you are not going to participate!
It seems to me he rather took his time to join to tell us he is flattered and presumably appreciated the attention that his work is getting. I think that is nice and encouraging!martinbn said:So, you joined the forums to say that you are not going to participate!
You know there's this discussion forum on Physics Forums that's been going on for for some time, and the people there are clearly very smart and have thought a lot about physics and quantum mechanics, and they've read these papers and they've seen some of these talks, and they're having discussions about things like "is this the right way to think about locality? or not the right way to think about locality?" And I I just love that they're doing this, because this is exactly the kind of work that we should all be doing. We should be thinking about how are we supposed to define things like locality and there are conversations about "is this picture compatible with remote entanglement swapping?" or different ways to think about about locality, and arguably it's compatible with all of these things.
You just have to carefully write it all out as a process, and treat everybody like atoms, and not have you know humans intervening, and you can't invoke measurements or collapse anymore because those aren't really happening, just play the whole thing out and just see it as it develops, and without being able to actually do projective measurements, there's not going to be the kinds of of strange non-locality that appears to be happening. But maybe I'm wrong and that's fine. But I think that the fact that people are actually discussing this is a good thing, and I hope people will do it more.
RedLocus said:causal indefiniteness that seems to be being shown <experimentaly>
Indefinite Causal Order in a Quantum Switchphysika said:Reference please
It's not how I would put his ideas?RedLocus said:Barandes assumes a definite time parameter and fixed causal structure
Fra said:It's not how I would put his ideas?
As I understand Baranders the idea is rather that on the lowest level there is no strict causal laws, but simply guided stochastics. His new principle of causation is:
"A theory with microphysical directed conditional probabilities is causally local if any pair of localized systems Q and R that remain at spacelike separation for the duration of a given physical process do not exert causal influences on each other during that process, in the sense that the directed conditional probabilities for Q are independent of R, and vice versa."
-- https://arxiv.org/html/2402.16935v1#S5
Except for the subtle by critical detail where the notion of "spacelike" and division of the system into two Q and R; comes from in the reconstruction(*) this is IMO pretty much identical to how you would rationally think about causation also in terms of interacting randomly walking agents. Namely that the local map that guides the stochastic process, is independent of the maps of other agents. Loosely speaking I associate Q and R to inside agents. But "local" here I would in the general sense not refer to 4D spacetime metrics, but some abstract information space. Where local can simply mean, whatever one agent has at hand. "local information" would then be synonymous to "available information". And to construct spacelike relations between different kinds of information that are interacting, becomes a problem of the future. Indeed it is not possible to solve all at once. So when I understand it like this, I feel even more closer to his ideas that on first reading.
In his last youtube video it also becomes more to me that Barandes is not quite doing away with the observer - he is rather doing away with the EXTERNAL observers. And the only "observations" going inte those between parts of the system. That is a perspective that is exactly in line with how I think as well. That is another way to shifting towards the "inside observers" - and the point is that, that from this inside view, we have stochastic processes. The problem is not obsevers per see, but the fictional EXTERNAL observers. I have come to think that you can phrase things differently to make it look different, when it's not so different after all.
(*) Barandes also said in his last youtube clip in this thread that he has not yet and solution to quantum gravity. I presume that the subtle detail of putting in "spacelike" in that definition of causation, might need some subtle revision as well when we seek to incorporate gravity, and thus a evolving spacetime, so the notion of the distance metric might need generalization.
So to me, all this taken together suggests a picuture where causality is not fixed but emergent?
/Fredrik
Ok I get your point and I agree it is a key issue.RedLocus said:central issue remains the implicit assumption of a stable, fixed causal scaffolding in Barandes' framework. Even if causation emerges internally, his theory presumes some definite underlying linear causal structure. Experimentally, indefinite causal order is a thing, and explicitly challenges this assumption, showing scenarios where no single causal scaffolding can describe quantum processes. Bruckners process matrix is used to deal with these cases, but I fail to see how something like this can be used within Barandes' framework without reconceptualizations that would move it back to the wavefunction like territory. Anyway, I still see this as a fundamental tension that needs to addressed clearly.
We don't know that trajectories belong to the underlying system. Trajectories themselves are a model--a model carried over from classical mechanics.lodbrok said:The trajectories belong to the underlying system not the current model.
If you mean what I think you mean(?), then I agree. Here is how i view what you say, let me know if i misinterpreted something.lodbrok said:When we talk of a Stochastic process, we are not offering an ontology but rather an epistemology about how we model the system under consideration. Therefore, the mathematical tools we apply and the features of the mathematical model must be interpreted with great care to avoid misconceptions arising from ascribing ontology to mathematical concepts.
...
Looking a bit more broadly, we can model a classical system using Newtonian mechanics, a Lagrangian, or a Hamiltonian. Similarly, we have to be careful when we interpret the features of the mathematical tool as features of the underlying system. This is one of the reasons Barandes complains about (and I agree) approaches that ascribe ontology to the wavefunction or conclude from the path-integral approach that particles are taking all possible paths, etc.
The advantage of Barandes' approach is that he starts with an assumption that an underlying system exists; he makes no claims about what the system is actually doing. But then he proceeded to show that if he models the system as an "indivisible stochastic process", he can recover all the equations of quantum mechanics. The stochasticity and the indivisibility are features of the model, not features of the underlying system. This gives a conceptually clear distinction between the map and the territory, allowing us to ask questions about the underlying system in different ways. Some questions would involve extending the model in "model-space" to see what more it can do. Still, many other questions would involve looking more closely at the underlying system to see what additional models could be offered to extend our understanding. Unification attempts with general relativity could then be approached both ways.
For sure the trajectories are not "observables" in the traditional sense, nor can they be inferred by an arbitrary observers. Thats how I think they are "real" as in actually there - but hidden to the extent that it even escapes causally influencing other parts of the system!lodbrok said:This is why when Scott Aaronson asks: "Where are the trajectories?", it appears to me he probably hasn't understood the model. The trajectories belong to the underlying system not the current model.
I agree with this. To me the latter perspective would be closer to ontology. Here is what Barandes says in his paper on Causal locality. What he calls nomology, I would have considered as a form of epistemology.Fra said:They key is to distinguish between the conventional epistemology from the perspective of the external observer, including the human science context; and the epistemological perspective of the "internal observers" as in small parts of the system interacting with other parts.
The former perspective can easily be dismissed as not beeing relevant to nature, but the latter perspective (if we can make sense of it) really mixes "epistemology" and "measurement" or physical inferences, as in how parts relate or are aware of other parts in it's own physical environment.
In the context of this overall stochastic picture, the wave function is not a piece of ontological furniture, but instead encodes epistemic information—the system’s probabilities—as well as nomological information—the system’s unistochastic microphysical dynamics.
Fra said:So, even if we don't know - it is suggestive that if the parts behaves "as if" then are stochastically evolving as per the Baranders causally local directed probabilities, that may tell us something about the ontology. It is how I see it, and it is one of the key insights.
RedLocus said:Indefinite Causal Order in a Quantum Switch
https://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.121.090503
Experimental verification of an indefinite causal order
https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.1602589
Device-independent certification of indefinite causal order in the quantum switch
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-023-40162-8
RedLocus said:I’ve been looking into Jacob Barandes’ stochastic-quantum correspondence, the idea of quantum systems as non-Markovian trajectories through a configuration space...well it's it’s compelling I must say, but something just doesn't sit well in my mind about quite a few points. One of which is how it fits in with more recent work on indefinite causal order, especially the process matrix framework developed by Brukner et al.
Barandes assumes a definite time parameter and fixed causal structure, while Brukner's work shows that causal order itself can be in superposition. Doesn’t this pose a major challenge for any theory grounded in stepwise, ordered trajectories? Is Barandes’ framework flexible enough to incorporate causal indefiniteness that seems to be being shown experimentaly? Or is this one of those conceptual threads where things might start to unravel?
javisot said:I understand that Barandes's claim that we should speak in a new language is because in this new stochastic and local paradigm entanglement and entanglement swapping do not exist, but it still explains all the experimental results equally. I would like to know the technical side of how this happens, how this new (local?) paradigm explains what in other contexts we call entanglement swapping (clearly non-local).
At the center of his formulation is a theorem demonstrating that any unitary quantum system can be expressed as an indivisible one and vice versa so its showing that in principle for every kind of standard QM scenario you can talk about, there is an equivalent description in terms of an indivisible stochastic system.javisot said:I also don't understand whether the proposal would correspond to standard QM, in the sense of offering the same but from a local perspective, or whether we go further (or don't reach that minimum).
PeterDonis said:We don't know that trajectories belong to the underlying system. Trajectories themselves are a model--a model carried over from classical mechanics.
Great answer, I see the following paragraphs (1,2) contradictory respect to the last paragraph (3)iste said:Looking at some of the papers on this topic by Brukner et al., seems to me this stuff can be seen as another form of contextuality that I don't think would be problematic since contextuality is more or less the essence of quantum mechanics which any formulation or interpretation will need to cover.
There is a long list of things that are indefiniteness quantum mechanics which all seem describable in the same way related to what is basically contextuality. This is just one example, Wigner's friend is another - and I believe there are parallels between this work and Brukner's work on Wigner's friend invoking joint probability distributions. Barandes' approach emphasizes yet another example of indefiniteness in terms of the indefiniteness of trajectories - not all of the joint probability distributions regarding trajectories can be constructed in the theory (which is just a characteristic of quantum theory) - while you can also see explicitly in his papers interference, non-commutativity, the uncertainty principle which are all yet again examples of this same kind of contextual behavior.
Whenever these claims of indefiniteness come about, they all seem characterizable in basically the same kind of way in terms of statistical descriptions so in principle this causal indefiniteness is not problematic for Barandes' kind of formulation and its not fundamentally different to the other kinds of indefiniteness you already see in his formulation and quantum theory generally. I would wager that there is any inherent need to alter Barandes' model to accommodate this stuff and it is not any more remarkable than things like Bell violations and other forms of contextuality which I would not expect a problem with.
Entanglement does exist in the Barandes formulation and he describes it in terms of indivisible stochastic systems.
If two systems interact (locally), this can induce correlations between the systems rendering them non-separable / non-factorizable. If the systems are Markovian, then once they stop interacting the correlation disappears because the system behavior only depends on the current state: no interaction, no correlation. For indivisible systems, any statistical information all the way down to the initial time will continue to be stored cumulatively in the system's transition matrices so that even when the two systems are not interacting, the correlation induced by the initial local interaction is still preserved in the behavior of the stochastic system - it does not only depend on the current non-interacting state.
All the elements required for entanglement swapping in terms of non-separability and division events exist in the Barandes formulation so it can be kind of envisioned how entanglement swapping could be expressed in indivisible systems. Local interactions between two separate systems create a non-separable composite system. If a single sub-system (e.g. a1) of one non-separable composite system A interacts with a single sub-system (e.g. b1) of another non-separable composite system B, the two systems A and B will no longer be non-separable but the interacting sub-components (i.e. a1 and b1) will now be non-separable. That is in a very basic way describing the swap event in entanglement swapping.
At the center of his formulation is a theorem demonstrating that any unitary quantum system can be expressed as an indivisible one and vice versa so its showing that in principle for every kind of standard QM scenario you can talk about, there is an equivalent description in terms of an indivisible stochastic system.
I think maybe one way of looking at the locality issue - but only as a stop-gap - is that rather than explicitly saying it is local (which is a very ambiguous word and can mean different things that may require more assumptions than Barandes can offer), we can almost definitively say that there are no explicit non-local influences in the mathematics of the model, particularly of the kind that would require the kind of foliations you would eventually need in Bohmian mechanics due to quantum potential. Systems don't spontaneously affect each other across distances beyond the preservation of an initial locally-induced correlation, measurements of which do not result in causal interactions in a similar sense to non-signalling. This is also the case in standard QM as wellas long as there is no physical collapse.
But they do in Barandes' formulation and, as lodbrok says, indivisibility seems to be sufficient for a system with trajectories to produce quantum behavior, continuous trajectories or otherwise (presumably)
Thanks for at least mentioning Entanglement Swapping.iste said:All the elements required for entanglement swapping in terms of non-separability and division events exist in the Barandes formulation so it can be kind of envisioned how entanglement swapping could be expressed in indivisible systems. Local interactions between two separate systems create a non-separable composite system. If a single sub-system (e.g. a1) of one non-separable composite system A interacts with a single sub-system (e.g. b1) of another non-separable composite system B, the two systems A and B will no longer be non-separable but the interacting sub-components (i.e. a1 and b1) will now be non-separable. That is in a very basic way describing the swap event in entanglement swapping.
Yes but this is the ambiguous aspect that I was trying to avoid. There will are non-local correlations in Barandes' theory just like quantum theory, but it is very difficult to say what these correlations mean or how they come about. Certainly, I don't think you can do that without going beyond what Barandes' formalism and into further interpretation.javisot said:What we understand by entanglement and entanglement swapping is typically explained using the existence of non-local influence. A local theory is a theory that does not contain non-local influences, obviously. By this I mean that, in Barandes's formulation, these phenomena (entanglement and entanglement swapping) are as local and common as any other phenomenon in that paradigm.
I don't know. Barandes talks about how the fact that the unitary representation of a system being divisible makes it more efficient compared to looking through the stochastic representation of the same system which is indivisible. Presumably thats how any advantages in quantum computing would come about according to Barandes formulation.javisot said:Is there any calculation that, using this new paradigm, is easier (or harder) than if I perform the same calculation using a different standard paradigm? Does this allow us to get anywhere more efficiently?
DrChinese said:Thanks for at least mentioning Entanglement Swapping.
I guess you would then say that if there were a third, fourth, etc composite systems C/D/etc between systems A and B: then the same effect could cascade through such intermediate systems to leave a1 and b1 to have those “spurious” perfect correlations. (Since entanglement isn’t real in this view).
But now you have these nasty issues with causality: because some subsystems can have swaps both before and/or after other subsystems cease to exist. Systems A and B can completely cease to exist before the connecting systems are even created. This is in fact the basis for quantum repeaters.
lodbrok said:it is not the underlying system that is "indivisible" but rather the process
These authors may have a different view to Barandes as to the meaning of fundamental. He addresses this in the first 30 minutes of the most recent video posted above. In any case, when developing a theory, you choose what is fundamental "according to the theory".physika said:Interesting, the fundamental is not the "system" or the "event", PROCESS is the fundamental.
Something like;
"We thus choose to determine necessary conditions that are operationally useful in identifying or falsifying causality claims. Our proposed approach is based on stochastics, in which events are replaced by PROCESSES"
Revisiting causality using stochastics.
https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rspa.2021.0835
Plausible.lodbrok said:These authors may have a different view
I'll make an attempt to paint a picture on how I would conceptually describe the bell entanglement experiment using how I understand Barandes perspective:DrChinese said:But now you have these nasty issues with causality: because some subsystems can have swaps both before and/or after other subsystems cease to exist. Systems A and B can completely cease to exist before the connecting systems are even created. This is in fact the basis for quantum repeaters.
Assuming you were tying your comments to my comment about quantum repeaters (that utilize entanglement swapping):Fra said:I'll make an attempt to paint a picture on how I would conceptually describe the bell entanglement experiment using how I understand Barandes perspective:
...
1. But there is NO causal relation between any future evolution of these entangled system.
2. The causal connection is only in the pre-tuning of their "predictive encoding".