1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A nonconducting spherical shell problem

1. Nov 21, 2008 #1
    A nonconducting spherical shell of inner radius a=2.00 cm and outer radius b = 2.40 cm has (withing its thickness) a positive charge density p = A/r, where A is a constant and r is the distance from the center of the shell. In addition, a small ball of charge q=45.0 fC is located at that center. What value should A have if the electric field in the shell (a[tex]\leq[/tex]r[tex]\leq[/tex]b) is to be uniform?

I know the answer that A value is 1.79[tex]\times[/tex]10-11. The problem is I don't know how to solve it. I don't even know which equation I should use. I tried to start with E = kq/r2, but what is the value of r. It is not specified where should I calculate.

Please help.
    Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

r can have any value between a and b. It is a variable, with no specific value.

Do you know what charge the "q" refers to in your equation for E?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?