1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A not-so-standard buckling problem

1. Dec 22, 2013 #1
    Hey guys, this came up in one of my past papers, and I'm not quite sure where to go with it.

The diagram shows an idealized structure consisting of an L-shaped rigid bar structure supported b linearly elastic springs at A and C. Rotational Stiffness is denoted βR and translational stiffness is denoted β. If βR = 3βL2/2, determine the critical buckling load PCR for the structure

PCR = C2EI/L, where C is a constant which depends on the end characteristics of the bar, E is youngs modulus, I is inertia, and L is the length of the bar.

Given that the Bar is simply supported, that meant that Le was equal to L/2 i though, and by Le = L/sqrt(C), that gave C a value of 1/4

My first though was to try and resolve the forces being applied, so I took moments about the point of maximum deflection, L/2, when a force of P is applied, where P<PCR. But I got lost there, because I can't figure out what the moment due to the stiffnesses would be, since they are a ratio due to the force applied/ deflection, and I dont know what deflection there would be at the point the spring is attached to

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?