A pair of inequalities from analysis

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find a solution to an equation using different methods, but none of them seem to work.
hypermonkey2

Homework Statement

Prove ln(1+x)>=(x)/Sqrt(1+x)

Prove (x-1)^2>=x((ln(x))^2)
For x>0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried using MVT, but i only end up with more inequalities that i cannot seem to prove... Another idea that works but i cannot prove exactly why it works is saying that since both sides "start" at the same value and the value of one derivative is always greater than the other implies that the LHS is always greater than the RHS. But aside from intuition, i have no proof as to why this is true! Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
i don't know how to solve it analytically but can you just say ln(1+x)< 1+x > x > x/sqrt(x+1). i reckon no.

hmm no that won't do. for the first, is it enough to say that since at x=0 both sides are equal and the derivative of one is always greater than the other? A similar reasoning might work for x>1 by taking the first 3 derivatives...

For the first one, I would try a linear approximation of ln(1+x) at 0.

hypermonkey2 said:

I have tried using MVT, but i only end up with more inequalities that i cannot seem to prove... Another idea that works but i cannot prove exactly why it works is saying that since both sides "start" at the same value and the value of one derivative is always greater than the other implies that the LHS is always greater than the RHS. But aside from intuition, i have no proof as to why this is true! Any help would be appreciated!

Ok, the proof for that goes like this:
Say f(x) and g(x) are the 2 functions such that:

f(x0) = g(x0)

And f'(x) >= g'(x), for all x >= x0

Let h(x) = f(x) - g(x), now, we have:

h(x0) = f(x0) - g(x0) = 0
h'(x) = f'(x) - g'(x) >= 0 for x >= x0

Since it's derivative is non-negative for x >= x0, so on that interval h(x) is an increasing function.

So for x >= x0, we have:

h(x) >= h(x0) = 0

~~> f(x) - g(x) >= 0 ~~> f(x) >= g(x), for x >= x0

The idea above can be used to prove the first one.

Are you sure about the second problem? It does not seem true at all. :bugeye:

Thats sweet! Just what i needed. Yup, the second is true all right. The derivative method works fine by taking the first three derivatives, but its a little messy and only works on (1, infinity). I managed to find something on (0,1] but its also messy. Any elegant ideas?

1. What is the definition of a pair of inequalities?

A pair of inequalities is a set of two mathematical expressions that are connected by a less than or greater than symbol. This relationship indicates that one expression is either smaller or larger than the other. For example, x + 2 < 10 is a pair of inequalities.

2. How are inequalities used in analysis?

Inequalities are used in analysis to compare and describe quantities that are not necessarily equal. They are especially useful in determining the relationships between different variables and can be used to solve problems and make predictions in various scientific fields, such as economics, physics, and biology.

3. What is the difference between strict and non-strict inequalities?

Strict inequalities, represented by < and > symbols, indicate that the two expressions being compared are not equal to each other. Non-strict inequalities, represented by ≤ and ≥ symbols, allow for the possibility of equality between the two expressions. In other words, strict inequalities have a clear boundary between the two expressions while non-strict inequalities have a fuzzy boundary.

4. Can a pair of inequalities have more than two expressions?

Yes, a pair of inequalities can have multiple expressions. For example, x + y < 10 and x + 2y > 5 are two inequalities that can be combined to form a pair of inequalities, with x and y being the common variables.

5. How can inequalities be graphically represented?

Inequalities can be graphically represented by shading the region on a coordinate plane that satisfies the given inequalities. For example, the solution set for x + 2 < 10 is all values of x that are less than 8, so the shaded region would be to the left of the line x = 8 on the coordinate plane.