1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A particle in Electric and Magnetic field

1. Jan 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A charge q is released in crossed E and B fields: E is oriented along y axis; B is oriented about z axis
    Derive the equation of motion of q

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure what equation I should use here, the only equation that I have which gives Force in terms of E and B is: F = q(E+v×B) , so I was thinking of using that, and set it equal to Newton's law F = m r'' , where r'' = {x'',y'',z''} , am I correct like that?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2016 #2

Suraj M

Gold Member

What exactly is r"?

4. Jan 27, 2016 #3
    r is just position, and by r'' I mean it is r derived twice so that it is acceleration

5. Jan 27, 2016 #4

Suraj M

Gold Member

Okay firstly if the object is moving without deflection even in the presence of a magnetic and electric field, what would be the resultant force on the body?

6. Jan 27, 2016 #5
    In general it should be F = ma

7. Jan 27, 2016 #6

Suraj M

Gold Member

What would be the shape of the path of the object?

8. Jan 28, 2016 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it is correct.
    You know the direction of the electric and magnetic field vectors. Write them out in vector form, and determine the components Fx, Fy, Fz of the force. Note that the force depends on the velocity, that is, (x'x, y'y, z'z) , Then you get three equations in the form mx"=Fx, my"=Fy, mz"=Fz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted