A particle inside eletric field

In summary, the question is asking for the distance between two particles, one charged and massive, and the other fixed, when the initial velocity is zero. The solution involves using electric potential and kinetic energy, rather than integrating with SUVAT equations. The expression for the potential is similar to that of force, with a 1/r term, and this must be taken into account when finding the distance between the particles.
Alois Herzog Heinz
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown.
Sorry about my english , I'm still learning.

I did it by energy, but i want to solve by integration

QUESTION : A charged and massive particle runs with 66 m/s, 3^10-6 coulomb and 6^10-3 Kg towards a fixed particle with 4,5^10-6 coulomb, separated by 4,3 meters . What's the distance between them which the initial velocity is zero ?

ANSWER : 0,00761 meters .

I started that way :

1) a = F/m ; F= kQq/r² ; 2) v²=vo² - 2.a.d; and i substituted the acceleration gives by 1 in equation 2 . So i isolated d and integrated 4,2 and (4,2-d) interval. It results in a cubic equation which doesn't make sense .

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Alois, :welcome:

This is not a matter of uniform acceleration ! You can't use the SUVAT equations here.
And you don't need to integrate either. That is being taken care of perfectly by using the electric potential.
Or did you do that already and did you find the 8 mm that way ?

Could you show your calculations in a bit more detail ? I can't follow what you mean with (4,2) and (4,2-d) ?

BvU said:
Hello Alois, :welcome:

This is not a matter of uniform acceleration ! You can't use the SUVAT equations here.
And you don't need to integrate either. That is being taken care of perfectly by using the electric potential.
Or did you do that already and did you find the 8 mm that way ?

Could you show your calculations in a bit more detail ? I can't follow what you mean with (4,2) and (4,2-d) ?

I already dit it by using eletric potential and cinetic energy (as Wolfgang Bauer's book did) . By integration i didn't find the correct answer .
I thought even the acceleration is not uniform , is given us how it changes with the distance , and we can evaluate by integrating all points of it in the path . SUVAT equation was the only way i saw to associate velocity , acceleration and distance .

(4,2) and (4,2-d) are the higher and lower integral limitshttp://[ATTACH=full]200062[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]200063[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• PLAIN]%20[Broken].jpg
    PLAIN]%20[Broken].jpg
    13 KB · Views: 135
  • 2a94obd.jpg
    2a94obd.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 122
Last edited by a moderator:
The equation of motion for uniform acceleration integrates a constant acceleration ##\vec a = {\vec F \over m}##. Here you have to deal with a force that depends on ##| \vec r - \vec r' | ## . In the simplest form ( ## F = - {1\over r^2} ## ) this gives a ## 1\over r ## as you find in the expression for the potential.

Alois Herzog Heinz said:
A charged and massive particle runs with 66 m/s, 3^10-6 coulomb and 6^10-3 Kg towards a fixed particle with 4,5^10-6 coulomb, separated by 4,3 meters . What's the distance between them which the initial velocity is zero ?
I did not understand the underlined part ?

1. What is a particle inside an electric field?

A particle inside an electric field refers to a charged object that is placed within an area of varying electric potential, causing it to experience a force due to the interaction between its charge and the field.

2. How does an electric field affect a particle?

An electric field exerts a force on a particle that is proportional to its charge. The direction of the force depends on the direction of the electric field and the charge of the particle.

3. What is the equation for the force on a particle inside an electric field?

The force on a particle inside an electric field can be calculated using the equation F = qE, where F is the force, q is the charge of the particle, and E is the strength of the electric field.

4. How does the motion of a particle change in an electric field?

In a uniform electric field, a particle with a positive charge will accelerate in the direction of the field, while a particle with a negative charge will accelerate in the opposite direction. In a non-uniform electric field, the motion of the particle will be more complex.

5. Can a particle's velocity affect its motion in an electric field?

Yes, a particle's initial velocity can affect its motion in an electric field. If the particle's velocity is parallel to the electric field, it will continue to move in a straight line. However, if the velocity is not parallel, the particle will experience a force that will alter its trajectory.