Calculating Electric Field at Point P(0,0'03,0'04)

In summary: Then,$$E_0=\dfrac{\rho}{3\varepsilon_0}r=\dfrac{10^{-6}\cdot 10}{3\varepsilon_0}=18832,39\, \textrm{V}/\textrm{m}$$
Guillem_dlc
Homework Statement
We have a sphere of radius ##R=6\, \textrm{cm}## charged with a volume density of charge ##\rho =10\, \mu \textrm{C}/\textrm{m}^3## centered at the origin of coordinates. An infinite plane located in the ##z=0##-plane will be charged with a surface charge density ##\sigma =0,2\, \mu \textrm{C}/\textrm{m}^2##. What is the modulus of the electric field at its point ##(0,3,4)\, \textrm{cm}?

Answer: ##2,87\cdot 10^4\, \textrmV}/\textrm{m}##
Relevant Equations
##E_\sigma=\dfrac{\sigma}{2\varepsilon_0}##
Captura de 2022-03-21 20-39-47.png

At point ##P(0,0'03,0'04)## the field caused by the sphere is added to the field caused by the plane.
First, ##E_\sigma##
$$E_\sigma=\dfrac{\sigma}{2\varepsilon_0}=\dfrac{0,2\cdot 10^{-6}}{2\varepsilon_0}=11299,44\, \textrm{V}/\textrm{m}$$
Then, ##E_0##: Because ##r<R##:
$$E_0=\dfrac{\rho}{3\varepsilon_0}r=\dfrac{10^{-6}\cdot 10}{3\varepsilon_0}$$
We see that ##r=|\vec{r}|=\sqrt{0,03^2+0,04^2}=0,05\, \textrm{m}## because ##\vec{r}=(0,0'03,0'04)-(0,0,0)=(0,0'03,0'04)##. Then,
$$E_0=\dfrac{10\cdot 10^{-6}}{3\varepsilon_0}\cdot 0,05=18832,39\, \textrm{V}/\textrm{m}$$
Finally,
$$E_T=E_\sigma +E_0=18832,39+11299,44=30131,83\, \textrm{V}/\textrm{m}$$

I don't get the solution I should give, should I have done modulus instead of direct summation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do the two electric fields ##\vec E_0## and ##\vec E_{\sigma}## point in the same direction at the point (0, 3 cm, 4 cm)?

TSny said:
Do the two electric fields ##\vec E_0## and ##\vec E_{\sigma}## point in the same direction at the point (0, 3 cm, 4cm)?
No. ##\vec E_{\sigma}## is vertical, and the other has vertical and horizontal components, doesn't it?

Guillem_dlc said:
No. ##\vec E_{\sigma}## is vertical, and the other has vertical and horizontal components, doesn't it?
Right.

TSny said:
Right.
But how do I separate the ##\vec E_0##? The formula is:
$$E_0=\dfrac{\rho}{3\varepsilon_0}r$$

Guillem_dlc said:
But how do I separate the ##\vec E_0##?
To find the components of ##\vec E_0## use your knowledge of the direction of ##\vec E_0##. A vector diagram can be helpful.

TSny said:
To find the components of ##\vec E_0## use your knowledge of the direction of ##\vec E_0##. A vector diagram can be helpful.
Right. With sine and cosine, right? And I find the angle with the point. Then I multiply the result I have by these and it will give me the two axes, won't it?

Guillem_dlc said:
Right. With sine and cosine, right? And I find the angle with the point. Then I multiply the result I have by these and it will give me the two axes, won't it?
That sounds like the right approach. I would have to see your detailed calculations to be sure.

Likes Guillem_dlc
Guillem_dlc said:
It's simpler to use the unit vector ##\hat r = \frac{1}{5}(0, 3, 4)##.

1. How do you calculate the electric field at a specific point?

To calculate the electric field at a specific point, you need to know the magnitude and direction of the electric field at that point. This can be determined by using the formula E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the source, and r is the distance between the source and the point.

2. What is the significance of the coordinates in calculating electric field at a point?

The coordinates represent the location of the point at which you are calculating the electric field. This is important because the electric field is a vector quantity and its direction and magnitude can vary at different points in space.

3. How do you handle multiple sources when calculating the electric field at a point?

When there are multiple sources, you can use the principle of superposition to calculate the total electric field at a point. This means that you can find the electric field at the point due to each individual source and then add them together vectorially to get the total electric field.

4. Can the electric field at a point ever be zero?

Yes, the electric field at a point can be zero. This can happen when the point is equidistant from two or more sources with equal and opposite charges. In this case, the electric fields from each source cancel each other out, resulting in a net electric field of zero at the point.

5. How does the distance from the source affect the electric field at a point?

The electric field at a point is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases. This relationship is described by the inverse square law and is an important factor to consider when calculating the electric field at a point.