Collision of two charged particles projeced in magnetic field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
carlyn medona

Homework Statement


Two particles having mass m separated by a distance d is uniform magnetic field as shown in the figure . If v=qBd/m, at what instant does collision occur. The coulomb force between the particles is switched off.

Homework Equations


T=2πm/qB

The Attempt at a Solution


For the given velocity each particle travel in a circle with radius d, at instant of collision each has completed 1/6 of it circular path, so I got time t=πm/3qB, but the solution says t=πm/6qB. Can somebody tell me where did I go wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
carlyn medona said:

Homework Statement


Two particles having mass m separated by a distance d is uniform magnetic field as shown in the figure . If v=qBd/m, at what instant does collision occur. The coulomb force between the particles is switched off.

Homework Equations


T=2πm/qB

The Attempt at a Solution


For the given velocity each particle travel in a circle with radius d, at instant of collision each has completed 1/6 of it circular path, so I got time t=πm/3qB, but the solution says t=πm/6qB. Can somebody tell me where did I go wrong?
Can you please Upload the figure -- it is difficult to tell what is going on. Can you also provide more details about the problem (charges?, Field direction?), and show your detailed work? Thank you.
 
Sorry, I forgot that
 
Attachments
  • 1512076740229493031971.jpg
    1512076740229493031971.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 484
I actually solved it, they would collide when each particle has completed 1/12 of its circular path
 
carlyn medona said:
I actually solved it
Great, because I'm not very good at reading upside-down figures. o0)

:smile: