A particle is moving in a circle

In summary, the particle moves in a circle of radius R and during the motion, neither the x- nor y-component of the particle's velocity exceeds v. The minimum possible time for the particle to complete one circle is given by \dfrac{2\pi R}{\sqrt{2} v}= \sqrt{2}\pi \dfrac{R}{v}.
mrknowknow
A particle is moving in a circle of radius R in the xy plane. During the motion, neither the x- nor y-component of the particle's velocity exceeds v. Find the minimum possible time for the particle to complete one circle. (I.e., find the minimum possible period of revolution.)

Hint 1: I don't think it can be solved without Calculus.
Hint 2: Answer is in the form of an equation without any rounding of any numbers involved.

Considering I haven't taken Calculus yet I don't know the right way to approach this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the problem says "minimum time" you can get at least an estimate without Calculus. The particle has maximum speed [itex]\sqrt{2} v[/itex] so cannot go a distance [itex]2\pi R[/itex] is less than
[tex]\dfrac{2\pi R}{\sqrt{2} v}= \sqrt{2}\pi \dfrac{R}{v}[/tex].

I think it means that the max possible x-component of velocity is v. But it is worded a bit vaguely.

edit: and a similar statement for y, separately.

edit again: never mind, I am being stupid. I thought there was a problem, but there is not.

edit number 3: yeah, my mistake was thinking the question gave the max values of components of velocity. But it does not. It gives upper bounds.

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
The particle has maximum speed [itex]\sqrt{2} v[/itex]
Could you please explain your reasoning here?

hehe, yeah, I thought the same thing initially.

Well how would I solve the problem with Calculus?

Not sure but if you consider the uniform circular motion, the conditions mentioned in the problem are satisfied.

Is it possible for you to post the answer?

well calculus doesn't really help to get a better answer in this case. If they told you the velocity as a function of time, then you could use calculus. But they don't tell you that.

even without assuming uniform motion, we can still get a 'minimum time'.

edit: (as Hallsofivy has done)

Well My professor stated as a hint he doesn't think it could be solved without Calculus. Could he be wrong?

the way you have described the problem, I don't think you need calculus. But you should make up your own mind. (Although I guess that might be tricky if you haven't been taught what calculus is).

1. What is the definition of circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the distance from the center remains constant and the object continuously changes direction.

2. What is the difference between uniform and non-uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is when an object moves along a circular path at a constant speed, while non-uniform circular motion is when the speed of the object along the circular path changes.

3. What is the relationship between circular motion and centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving along a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and is proportional to the mass of the object and the square of its velocity.

4. How is the direction of the velocity of a particle moving in a circle related to its acceleration?

The direction of the velocity of a particle moving in a circle is constantly changing, therefore it has an acceleration. The acceleration is directed towards the center of the circle and is perpendicular to the velocity.

5. What is the role of angular velocity in circular motion?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates or changes its angular position. It plays a crucial role in circular motion as it determines the speed at which an object moves along the circular path.