1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem from physics teacher newsletter

1. Sep 7, 2013 #1
    1. A particle is moving around a circle of radius R in the x-0-y plane. During the motion, neither the x nor the y component of the particle's velocity exceeds v. Find the minimum possible period of revolutions.

2. V=2*∏/TR

3. x=y=v
    x^2+y^2=2v^2=V^2=sqrt{2}v

T=2∏R/sqrt{2}/v

Is this how you would do it? Can you assume x^2+y^2=2v^2?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That has inconsistent units, it cannot be right.

You can use ##v_x^2 + v_y^2 = v^2##, but I don't see why this would be necessary.
    ##|v_x| \leq |v|## and ##|v_y| \leq |v|## should be obvious. Therefore, you can just use the formula in (2) to solve for T.

4. Sep 8, 2013 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's a more interesting problem if the quantity given as ##v## in the problem is not the speed of the particle, but just an upper bound on ##|v_x|## and ##|v_y|##.

The fact that it is a problem out of The Physics Teacher makes me think that it might be this interpretation. But I'm not sure.

5. Sep 8, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Ah right, the restriction is for the individual components. Well that makes it even easier, you can consider both components separately.

Edit: No, you cannot. Okay, the problem is interesting, you have to think about it. The calculations are easy.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  6. Sep 8, 2013 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Means the speed isn't constant though.

7. Sep 8, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The particle moves in a circle. That means you cannot assume the two velocity components are always v in magnitude. That will only happen when the particle is moving at 45 degrees to the axes.
    Try polar coords. Express the two velocities in terms of derivative of theta. At any given time, one of them will have magnitude v. You just have to figure out which when, and what it implies for the magnitude of the other.

8. Sep 8, 2013 #7

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint #1: by symmetry, you only need to consider the first octant, i.e. theta = 0 to pi/4. Theta is the polar angle with the circle centered at the origin of a polar coordinate system.

Hint #2: what is the relationship between theta, vx and vy that defines a circle as opposed to any other shape, e.g. ellipse?

Hint #3: change the problem v to k. You want v to be the actual instantaneous speed. Otherwise you get confused as several posters did already.

Hint #4: the answer requires solving a non-trivial integration.

This is a really neat problem; I was so fascinated I worked it out last night at 2 a.m.!

9. Sep 8, 2013 #8

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm quite sure it is, reading the problem carefully.

10. Sep 8, 2013 #9

mfb

2016 Award

You can avoid the integration if you keep the xy-coordinates.

11. Sep 10, 2013 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Quite so. I realised about one minute after my previous post that switching to polar was counterproductive, but then I lost internet access for two days! Once you've carved up the circle into portions according to which velocity component is the greater, it's very easy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted