1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A particle on the edge of an inclined spinning disc

1. Dec 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle is fixed to the edge of a disc of negligible mass making an angle θ0 with the ground in a uniform gravitational field, and is free to rotate about the center of the disc. I need to find the equations of motion.

2. Relevant equations
    The definition of the Lagrangian in spherical coordinates,

##\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{r}^2 + r^2\dot{\theta}^2 + r^2sin^2{\theta}\dot{\phi}^2) - U(r, \phi, \theta)##

where ##\theta## is given to be the angle of altitude and ##\phi## is the azimuthal angle.

3. The attempt at a solution

It was easy to find the Lagrangian to be

##L = \frac{R^2}{2}m(\dot{\theta}^2 + sin^2{\theta}\dot{\phi}^2) + mgrcos{\theta}##

It is from here that I do not know how to proceed. Wouldn't using that Lagrangian to find the equations of motion for ##\phi## and ##\theta## just get me the equations of motion for a particle constrained to move?

The first thing I've thought to try is to treat the particle as though it is moving on the surface of a sphere, fixed to move along the great circle produced by the plane passing through the center of the sphere and making an angle θ0 with its equator, then I could use the equation of the great circle as a constraint relating ##\phi## and ##\theta##, but I'm struggling to find the parametric equations for a great circle.

The other thing I tried was to use cylindrical coordinates and impose the constraint that the height ##z## is some function of ##\phi##. My guess is that this function would be something of the form ##z = Rcos{\theta_0}cos{\phi}##, then use ## f = z - Rcos{\theta_0}cos{\phi} = 0## as my equation of constraint. This gets me the equations

##\ddot{\phi} + \frac{\lambda}{R}cos{\theta_0}sin{\phi} = 0##
    ##\ddot{z} - g + \frac{\lambda}{m} = 0##

It is from there that I do not know how to proceed.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2015 #2
    How you write the Lagrangian for horizontal disk on external field by angle ##\theta_0##?
    This Lagrangian produce the same equation of motion? Must be?

4. Dec 27, 2015 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Are you taking the z axis as vertical? Doesn't that make phi and its derivatives a bit tricky?
    Have you tried using cylindrical coordinates but taking the z axis perpendicular to the disk?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted