A particle on the edge of an inclined spinning disc

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
jack476
Messages
327
Reaction score
124

Homework Statement


A particle is fixed to the edge of a disc of negligible mass making an angle θ0 with the ground in a uniform gravitational field, and is free to rotate about the center of the disc. I need to find the equations of motion.

Homework Equations


The definition of the Lagrangian in spherical coordinates,

##\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{r}^2 + r^2\dot{\theta}^2 + r^2sin^2{\theta}\dot{\phi}^2) - U(r, \phi, \theta)##

where ##\theta## is given to be the angle of altitude and ##\phi## is the azimuthal angle.

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
It was easy to find the Lagrangian to be

##L = \frac{R^2}{2}m(\dot{\theta}^2 + sin^2{\theta}\dot{\phi}^2) + mgrcos{\theta}##

It is from here that I do not know how to proceed. Wouldn't using that Lagrangian to find the equations of motion for ##\phi## and ##\theta## just get me the equations of motion for a particle constrained to move?

The first thing I've thought to try is to treat the particle as though it is moving on the surface of a sphere, fixed to move along the great circle produced by the plane passing through the center of the sphere and making an angle θ0 with its equator, then I could use the equation of the great circle as a constraint relating ##\phi## and ##\theta##, but I'm struggling to find the parametric equations for a great circle.

The other thing I tried was to use cylindrical coordinates and impose the constraint that the height ##z## is some function of ##\phi##. My guess is that this function would be something of the form ##z = Rcos{\theta_0}cos{\phi}##, then use ## f = z - Rcos{\theta_0}cos{\phi} = 0## as my equation of constraint. This gets me the equations

##\ddot{\phi} + \frac{\lambda}{R}cos{\theta_0}sin{\phi} = 0##
##\ddot{z} - g + \frac{\lambda}{m} = 0##

It is from there that I do not know how to proceed.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How you write the Lagrangian for horizontal disk on external field by angle ##\theta_0##?
This Lagrangian produce the same equation of motion? Must be?
 
Are you taking the z axis as vertical? Doesn't that make phi and its derivatives a bit tricky?
Have you tried using cylindrical coordinates but taking the z axis perpendicular to the disk?