A permutation and combination problem

In summary, the problem is to connect 2n points on a circle without any lines crossing each other. Each line must connect an odd-numbered point with an even-numbered point, and each piece of the circle created by a line must be equivalent to the original circle problem. The solution can be found by constructing a recursion relation.
basichan

Homework Statement

There are 2n points on a circle, we want to connect each two of them to make a pattern of connection in the way that there is no cross between the lines of connection, and all the lines have to be inside the circle and on the plane of the circle.
Question: How many different patterns of connection there are?

Homework Equations

This is a relevant question to count the number of planar Feynman Diagrams that without interaction insider a loop.

The Attempt at a Solution

we can check that in the case of n=1, there is 1 pattern, n=2, there are 2 different patterns, n=3, there are 5 different patterns.

Physics news on Phys.org
basichan said:

Homework Statement

There are 2n points on a circle, we want to connect each two of them to make a pattern of connection in the way that there is no cross between the lines of connection, and all the lines have to be inside the circle and on the plane of the circle.
Question: How many different patterns of connection there are?

we can check that in the case of n=1, there is 1 pattern, n=2, there are 2 different patterns, n=3, there are 5 different patterns.

Please be more specific in what the definition of a "pattern of connection" is.

LCKurtz said:

It means that the only important thing is which two points is connected, the shape of the line of connection doesn't matter.

LCKurtz said:

For example, if there are two points on the circle, there is trivially one way to connect the two points. No matter the line is a straight line or a curve.

That doesn't tell me enough. What are the rules? If I have 4 points on a circle and some lines between some of them, how do I tell if I have a "legal" pattern of connection? Please give the definition since this topic is unfamiliar to me.

LCKurtz said:
That doesn't tell me enough. What are the rules? If I have 4 points on a circle and some lines between some of them, how do I tell if I have a "legal" pattern of connection? Please give the definition since this topic is unfamiliar to me.

I am not sure what your mean. I mean any line or curve you can draw is legal, the rules are the lines cannot cross each other, and cannot go beyond the plane of the circle and have to be inside the circle. That's all.

LCKurtz said:

I would like to say it again, the legal curve or lines are these doesn't go across any of other lines or curves, any any point can only be connected to another unique point.

LCKurtz said:

If there are 4 points on the circle, a, b, c, d in turn for example, we can only connect a with b, and c with d, or a with d, b with c. These is all the possible way we can do.

Interesting problem. I think I can express it a little more simply: A circle has 2n equally spaced points on it. The points are to be connected in pairs by straight line segments. The line segments are not allowed to intersect each other. How many ways are there to draw these line segments? Call this number N(2n).

Let's number the points consecutively around the circle from 1 to 2n. You can convince yourself that each segment must connect an odd-numbered point with an even-numbered point. (Otherwise, an odd number of points will be isolated on each side of the segment, and we will not be able to pair them all up with other segments that do not cross the first segment.) Suppose point #1 is connected to point #2k. This cuts the circle into two pieces, one with 2k-2 unconnected points and one with 2n-2k unconnected points. Points in one piece cannot be connected to points in the other piece without crossing the first segment. Each piece by itself is then equivalent to the original circle problem, so that the number of ways to connect the points in the piece with 2k-2 points is N(2k-2). From this you can construct a recursion relation that you could solve numerically (and possibly analytically).

Last edited:
Avodyne said:
Interesting problem. I think I can express it a little more simply: A circle has 2n equally spaced points on it. The points are to be connected in pairs by straight line segments. The line segments are not allowed to intersect each other. How many ways are there to draw these line segments? Call this number N(2n).

Let's number the points consecutively around the circle from 1 to 2n. You can convince yourself that each segment must connect an odd-numbered point with an even-numbered point. (Otherwise, an odd number of points will be isolated on each side of the segment, and we will not be able to pair them all up with other segments that do not cross the first segment.) Suppose point #1 is connected to point #2k. This cuts the circle into two pieces, one with 2k-2 unconnected points and one with 2n-2k unconnected points. Points in one piece cannot be connected to points in the other piece without crossing the first segment. Each piece by itself is then equivalent to the original circle problem, so that the number of ways to connect the points in the piece with 2k-2 points is N(2k-2). From this you can construct a recursion relation that you could solve numerically (and possibly analytically).

Yes, I actually already have the recursion relation before I post this question, but what I need is the formal algebraic expression.

Last edited:
You should have said that you found a recursion relation in your original post!

To get a closed form expression, try this: formally define the function
[tex]G(x)\equiv\sum_{n=0}^\infty N_{2n}x^n[/tex]Now write the square of this function as a double series. By manipulating this double series and using the recursion relation, you should be able to convert it into a single series. This will give you a closed-form equation for G.

Last edited:
Avodyne said:

[tex]G(x)\equiv\sum_{n=0}^\infty N_{2n}x^n[/tex]Now write the square of this function as a double series. By manipulating this double series and using the recursion relation, you should be able to convert it into a single series. This will give you a closed-form equation for G.

I just won't to lead others to my way of solution, maybe there could be another way. So that I haven't post it.

Avodyne said:

You are correct, I got it, but how do you know we need to define a function like that to solve it?

G(x) is called the "generating function" of the infinite sequence. The generating function is often easier to work with than the sequence itself. For example, a linear recursion relations for a sequence can often be translated into a linear differential equation for G(x). In this case, the recursion relation looked like what you get when you multiply two series together and reorganize them into a single series, so using a generating function was worth a try. That said, I am a little surprised that it all works out so straightforwardly in this case.

Avodyne said:
G(x) is called the "generating function" of the infinite sequence. The generating function is often easier to work with than the sequence itself. For example, a linear recursion relations for a sequence can often be translated into a linear differential equation for G(x). In this case, the recursion relation looked like what you get when you multiply two series together and reorganize them into a single series, so using a generating function was worth a try. That said, I am a little surprised that it all works out so straightforwardly in this case.

Thank you for your explanation, then what kind of lecture, subject or book would teach such techniques?

basichan said:
Thank you for your explanation, then what kind of lecture, subject or book would teach such techniques?

This book is written with generating functions as its main topic: http://www.math.upenn.edu/~wilf/DownldGF.html .

1. What is a permutation and combination problem?

A permutation and combination problem is a type of math problem that involves finding the number of ways to arrange or select a group of objects or elements. Permutations refer to arrangements where the order of the elements matters, while combinations refer to selections where the order does not matter.

2. How do you calculate permutations and combinations?

The formula for calculating permutations is n!/(n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects selected. For combinations, the formula is n!/r!(n-r)!. Additionally, a permutation can be thought of as a combination with the added factor of ordering the elements.

3. What is the difference between permutations and combinations?

As mentioned before, the main difference is that permutations take into account the order of the elements, while combinations do not. Another way to think about it is that permutations are used when the objects or elements are distinct, while combinations are used when the objects or elements are not distinct.

4. What are some real-life applications of permutation and combination problems?

Permutations and combinations are used in various fields such as statistics, probability, and computer science. Some real-life applications include calculating the number of possible outcomes in a game of cards, determining the number of possible combinations for a password, and predicting the chances of winning in a lottery.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for permutation and combination problems?

Practice and familiarizing yourself with the formulas and concepts involved in permutations and combinations are key to improving your problem-solving skills. Additionally, breaking down the problem into smaller parts and using visual aids or diagrams can also help in solving these types of problems.