Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: A Pickup Truck and a bit of Friction

1. Sep 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A pickup truck with a steel bed is carrying a steel file cabinet. If the truck's speed is 27 m/s, what is the shortest distance (m) in which it can stop without the file cabinet sliding? (Use µs = 0.8 for the coefficient of static friction of steel on steel.)

2. Relevant equations

F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, to start I made a force diagram and concluded that, as usual, the normal force equals the weight. That only leaves me to worry about the x-axis, the push speed and the friction. But, I'm not sure where to go and I don't remember how to convert velocity into force since velocity isnt' a force. And I can't find the acceleration. Thank you in advance for any help and/or hints!

~Bachi

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Bachi! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hint: first, use your F = ma to find how much acceleration is needed to make the cabinet slide (you don't need velocity for this part).

Then use that acceleration to find the stopping distance. :smile:

4. Sep 23, 2008 #3
    Thank you for your welcome =)

How would you use F = ma to find the acceleration when you don't have the mass?

5. Sep 23, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Bachi234! :smile:

Just call the mass m, and write out the equations …

you'll find that everything has an m in it (like mg), and you can just divide by m. :wink:

Have a go! :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook