Max Acceleration for Truck w/Crate & CoFriction

In summary, the problem involves a 5228 kg truck with a 226 kg crate on its level bed. The static coefficient of friction is given as 0.27. To determine the maximum acceleration the truck can achieve without the crate slipping off, the forces at work must be considered. The only relevant forces are the force of gravity, which works in the vertical direction, and the friction force, which works in the horizontal direction. The coefficient of friction is the ratio of these two forces. Thus, to find the horizontal force, the mass of the truck and crate must be multiplied by the coefficient of friction.
rmalski

Homework Statement

[/B]A 5228 kg flatbed truck has a 226 kg crate resting on the level bed. If the static coefficient of friction is 0.27, what is the maximum acceleration the truck can achieve without the crate slipping off?

Homework Equations

[/B]f=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

i believe i need to find the force on each object. it would be 5228 x 9.8 and 226 x 9.8 but i am stuck there, especially with the static coefficient of friction. i do not understand that at all

Physics news on Phys.org
The forces you mention are from gravity. Works in a vertical direction. But we can assume there is no vertical acceleration. So there must be more forces at work.
Acceleration is probably in a different direction (I don't spoil the exercise if I say: horizontal). How do you bring in a force that works in a horizontal direction ?

to find the horizontal force would you have to multiply the mass by the coefficient of friction?

Coëfficiënt of friction is dimensionless: it is the ratio of (the magnitude of) two forces. Which ones ?

the friction force and applied force?

No.

Physics isn't a guessing game. What have you learned about this subject ?

1. What is max acceleration for a truck with a crate and coefficient of friction?

The maximum acceleration for a truck with a crate and coefficient of friction depends on various factors, including the weight of the truck and crate, the type of surface the truck is driving on, and the engine power. It can be calculated using the formula: Max Acceleration = (Engine Power - Frictional Force) / Total Mass.

2. How does crate weight affect the max acceleration of a truck?

The weight of the crate will increase the overall weight of the truck, which will decrease the maximum acceleration. This is because the engine will have to work harder to move the heavier load, resulting in a lower acceleration.

3. Can the type of surface affect the max acceleration of a truck?

Yes, the type of surface the truck is driving on can greatly affect the maximum acceleration. For example, a truck driving on a smooth, paved road will have a higher maximum acceleration compared to a truck driving on a rough, gravel road, as there will be less friction to overcome.

4. How does the coefficient of friction impact the max acceleration of a truck?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance to motion between two surfaces. The higher the coefficient of friction, the more force is needed to overcome it, resulting in a lower maximum acceleration for the truck.

5. Is there a limit to the max acceleration of a truck with a crate and coefficient of friction?

Yes, there is a limit to the maximum acceleration of a truck with a crate and coefficient of friction. This limit is based on the laws of physics and the capabilities of the truck's engine and tires. It is important to always consider safety when determining the maximum acceleration for a truck.