1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A problem in Elementary Differential Geometry

1. Sep 7, 2012 #1
    Joseph.png

My teacher has defined [itex]U_1 = \langle1, 0, 0\rangle[/itex], [itex]U_2 = \langle0, 1, 0\rangle[/itex], and [itex]U_3 = \langle0, 0, 1\rangle[/itex].

So it seems like the function maps [itex]L(\langle1, 0, 0\rangle, \langle0, 1, 0\rangle) = a, L(\langle1, 0, 0\rangle, \langle0, 0, 1\rangle) = b,[/itex], and [itex]L(\langle0, 1, 0\rangle, \langle0, 0, 1\rangle) = c[/itex]

I'm not sure how that helps me determine what [itex]L(\langle v_1, v_2, v_3\rangle, \langle w_1, w_2, w_3\rangle)[/itex] is.

Could the function perhaps be [itex]L(u, v) = L(\langle v_1, v_2, v_3\rangle, \langle w_1, w_2, w_3\rangle) = a\cdot{}v_1 + b\cdot{}w_3 + c\cdot{}v_2[/itex]

That seems to satisfy our initial conditions.

My textbook doesn't cover this and my teacher hasn't shown an example of how these functions work, so I'm unsure what to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I would start with the definition of "skew-symmetric multilinear function".

The next thing to do would be to note that v = <v1, v2, v3> = v1U1 + v2U2 + v3U3. You can write w in a similar fashion, as a linear combination of U1, U2, and U3.

That's a start...

4. Sep 7, 2012 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write v=v1*U1+v2*U2+v3+U3 and similar for w. Use linearity to factor out the vi's and wi's and skew-symmetry to change, for example, <U2,U1> to -<U1,U2>.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook