1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A problem in Real Analysis/Topology

1. Dec 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let A be a non empty part of ℝ, such that A and A complement are two open subsets of ℝ.

2. Relevant equations

1- Prove that A is not bounded above.
    2- Assuming that A complement is non-empty and let x in A complement.
    and let B={xεA such that x≤t}. Prove that B is non empty and has a lower bound m such that m≥x.
    3- Prove that: [tex]m\notin A[/tex] and [tex]m\notin A^{c}[/tex] . Conclude that A=ℝ.
    4- Let F be non-empty set in ℝ such that F and F complementary are closed in R. What can we say about the set F?

3. The attempt at a solution

1- A is an open subset of R so we're going to use a proof by contradiction.

Suppose that a=sup(A) so for all x in A : x≤a . But since A is open then there exists an ε>0 such that: [tex]]a-\epsilon,a+\varepsilon[\cap A\neq\varnothing[/tex] so that means there is another number say a+ε/2 that's also in A so therefore A is unbounded above.

2- B is a subset of A so there for B is nonempty. Second part I know I have to conduct a proof by contradiction but I don't know how to start . Well I can suppose that B doesn't have a lower bound.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Part 1 isn't going well. Some of the parts are there but the reasoning is all muddled. The idea is to show that ##a=sup(A)## CANNOT be an element of ##A##. Suppose it was? Then there's a neighborhood of ##a## that is contained in ##A##. Can you see how that would create a problem with ##a## being ##sup(A)##?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  4. Dec 8, 2013 #3
    If there is a neighborhood of a that is contained in A then there is another element other than a that's also in A so therefore a cannot be Sup(A). Is that right?

5. Dec 8, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is only true because R is a connected set. At some point you are going to have to use the connectedness of R.

6. Dec 8, 2013 #5
    Or for number 1 can I do this:

Let N be any natural number and define V={a: lal>N} a neighborhood of a at infinity.
    Thus, there exists some a in A such that A is in V.
    Hence, there exists some a in A such that |x|>N.
    Therefore, A is unbounded.

7. Dec 8, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There being another element besides ##a## in A does not contradict ##a## being a sup. How can it? If you could show there is an element ##b## in A such that a<b, that would contradict ##a## being a sup. Can you do that?

8. Dec 8, 2013 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, stick to the original approach. There's no such thing as "a neighborhood of a at infinity".

9. Dec 8, 2013 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a good point. But I think this is a proof of the connectedness of R. Can't really use that R is connected in the proof. I think the important property of R that's not being explicitly stated is that if A is bounded above then there is such a real number as sup(A).

10. Dec 8, 2013 #9
    Okay A is open and we supposed that a=sup(A) so there exist an ε>0 such that:

[tex]]a-\epsilon,a+\epsilon[\subset A[/tex] so:

[tex]\exists b\neq a\in]a-\epsilon,a+\epsilon[\subset A[/tex]

Therefor b is in the neighborhood of a and in the subset A. So for b=a+ε/2 we still have b in the neighborhood of a and in A so there for a is not the supremum of A and finally A is unbounded above.

11. Dec 8, 2013 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is such an ε because we ASSUME that ##a=sup(A)## is an element of A when A is bounded above. That's an assumption. We may have to reconsider it.

Yes, a<b=a+ε/2 is in the neighborhood saying ##a## is not the supremum. That's a contradiction, because we defined ##a=sup(A)##. When you reach a contradiction you have to go back and look at the last thing you assumed. That must be wrong. What is it?

12. Dec 8, 2013 #11
    Since we found a b>a in the neighborhood of a, and since we had assumed that a=Sup(A) we have reached a contradiction with a=Sup(A).

13. Dec 8, 2013 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are finding the wrong contradiction at this point in the proof. I'll give you an example, take the open interval A=(0,1). a=sup(A)=1. So far, there's no contradiction. What assumption really created the contradiction. Look back. It's an assumption you keep failing to mention.

14. Dec 8, 2013 #13

pasmith

Homework Helper

You've shown that if [itex]\sup A \in A[/itex] then [itex]A[/itex] cannot be open. But you're given that [itex]A[/itex] is open.

So either [itex]\sup A \in A^c[/itex] or [itex]A[/itex] is not bounded above, which is what you are asked to prove.

So how do you exclude the possibility that [itex]\sup A \in A^c[/itex], given that [itex]A^c[/itex] is open?

15. Dec 8, 2013 #14
    We assumed that a is in A so our contradiction is with a in A right?

16. Dec 8, 2013 #15

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, your conclusion is that ##a## is not in ##A##. Therefore ##a## must be in A complement, which is also open by assumption. Now what?

17. Dec 8, 2013 #16
    If a is not in A then if it's in A complement, that means that a is a limit point of A right?

18. Dec 8, 2013 #17

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'll agree with that if you can give me reason.

19. Dec 8, 2013 #18
    a is a limit point of A because:

[tex]\exists b\neq a\in]a-\epsilon,a+\epsilon[\cap A[/tex] by the definition of a limit point. b is what found before to be greater than a.

20. Dec 8, 2013 #19

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That doesn't make any sense to me as a reason. ##a## is a limit point of ##A## just because ##a=sup(A)##. How would being the sup imply that it's a limit point?

21. Dec 8, 2013 #20
    A complement is open and we know that if a is not in A then it's in the adherent of A which is always a closed set because it contains all of the limit points of A?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted