1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A problem on concurrent forces in a plane.

1. Dec 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A ball rests in a trough as shown in figure. Determine the angle of tilt ##\theta## with the horizontal so that the reactive force at B will be one-third at A if all surfaces are perfectly smooth.

2.Relevant equations

Application of Lami's theorem and some algebra and geometry

3.The attempt at a solution

I tried to derive an relation between ## \theta ## and the Ratio between the reactions Ra and Rb ,so at ##\theta## =00 the ratio between the reactions is one and at a particular ##\theta## the ratio becomes 3. The relation goes like this ##f(\theta) = x\frac{Ra}{Rb} ## where ##x## is a constant
    This didn't lead me anywhere because there are too many unknowns.

Another equation i can think of is ##\theta ##= x(Ra-Rb) so at ##\theta =0 ## , Ra =Rb at what ##\theta## will Ra=3Rb?? The required angle ##\theta= x(2Rb) ## and ##x= \frac{\theta}{2Rb}##

I don't see this going anywhere either.
    Is this the right way to go ?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see why you can't draw a FBD of the ball and set up the normal forces on each contact surface using the conditions of static equilibrium.

Remember, the angle θ must be incorporated into the angle of the trough measured w.r.t. the bottom of the wedge. When θ = 0, then these angles will both be 30° as indicated on the diagram.

4. Dec 12, 2015 #3
    Thanks ,i took a little more time than expected to incorporate the angle since i had to imagine the thing to rotate ,i got the answer 16.13 degrees ,is there anyway to derive an equation like the one i mentioned ? i am just trying to find some alternative methods( if there are any).

5. Dec 12, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I doubt it, since the answer, I think, depends on the trigonometry of the situation, which is not linear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted