1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A problem on triangle and it's perpendicular bisectors.

1. Aug 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to solve the following problem :

In △ABC, coordinates of B are (−3,3). Equation of the perpendicular bisector of side AB is 2x+y−7=0. Equation of the perpendicular bisector of side BC is 3x−y−3=0. Mid point of side AC is E(11/2,7/2). Find AC2.

2. Relevant equations

-

3. The attempt at a solution

Fw5PT.png

By solving 3x−y−3=0 and 2x+y−7=0 I find that the intersection of perpendicular bisectors is at (2,3) .
    Then using the two points (2,3) and (11/2,7/2), I get the equation of perpendicular bisector of AC as y=x/7+19/7.
    So the slope of AC is -7 and then using point slope form , y−7/2=−7(x−11/2) Thus the equation of line AC is y=42−7x .
    Similarly equation of line BC is y=2−x/3 .
    So AC and BC intersect at (6,0).
    By using the fact that E is the midpoint of AC, I find Co-ordinates of A as (5,7).
    So the distance between A and C is 5√2, and AC2=50.
    But this answer is wrong and the correct answer is 74 ( I checked the answer sheet) .
    What have I done wrong ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2013 #2

verty

Homework Helper

I don't know what went wrong before but here is a slightly different method.

Step 1. Find A using B and the gradient of AB.
    Step 2. Find AC^2

I forget about E, E means only A is required.

4. Aug 26, 2013 #3
    I don't understand. How can I find AC2 after finding gradient of AB ?

5. Aug 26, 2013 #4

verty

Homework Helper

Your goal is to find A and then AC^2. To find A, find the midpoint of AB then use the midpoint formula.

6. Aug 26, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I agree with your answer, through a slightly different route.
    O is the circumcentre, so OC=OB = 5. OE2 = 25/2, so CE2 = 25/2 by Pythagoras.

7. Aug 27, 2013 #6
    I tried and got A as (5,7) . Is that right?
    Then I get C as (6,0) so AC2=50.

8. Aug 28, 2013 #7

verty

Homework Helper

It must be right, you found the same answer by two different methods and Haruspex found it by a third method. There must have been no mistake originally.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted