A question about converting dimensions

• Thread starter MrEnergy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimensions
In summary: Determine a convertion factor that, upon multiplication, changes an acceleration in miles per hour times second (mi/h*s) to meter per second squared (m/s^2).In summary, MrEnergy needs to find a conversion factor that changes an acceleration in miles per hour to meter per second squared. In order to do this, he needs to keep track of the units that need to be changed, and then set up a chain of multiplications that results in the desired conversion.
MrEnergy
My question seems rather simple, but I could't have the right answer. Hope you can help me about it. Thanks!

Determine a convertion factor that, upon multiplication, changes an acceleration in miles per hour times second (mi/h*s) to meter per second squared (m/s^2).

Physics news on Phys.org
To arrive at your conversion factors, consider the units that need to be changed one by one. Firstly, the unit for measuring length. We need to change miles to metres. How many miles per metre? My computer tells me 6.214 * 10^(-4) mi/m

Do this for the units of time as well. How many seconds per hour? (60 sec/min)*(60 min/hr) = 60^2 sec/hr = 3600 sec/hr.

Now, set things up so that you successively multiply by the required conversion factors in a chain, thereby being easily able to keep track of how the old units cancel out leaving only the new ones. The conversion factors are fractions, and so in order to know which way around they should be written, you need to keep track of whether the unit that you are trying to cancel in the original expression is on top or on the bottom:

[tex] 1\ \ \frac{\textrm{mi}}{\textrm{h} \cdot \textrm{s}} \times \frac{1\ \ \textrm{m}}{0.0006214\ \ \textrm{mi}} \times \frac{1\ \ \textrm{h}}{3600\ \ \textrm{s}} = [/tex]

continued in next post (trying to sort out my LaTeX)

Last edited:
Welcome to PF!

MrEnergy said:
Determine a convertion factor that, upon multiplication, changes an acceleration in miles per hour times second (mi/h*s) to meter per second squared (m/s^2).

Hi MrEnergy! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Show us what factors you're using …

you've probably made a simple mistake that we can spot for you. :smile:

cepheid said:
[tex] 1 \frac{\textrm{mi}}{\textrm{h} \cdot \textrm{s}} \times \frac{1\, \textrm{m}}{0.0006214\, \textrm{mi}} \times \frac{1\, \textrm{h}}{3600\, \textrm{s}} = [/tex]

continued in next post (trying to sort out my LaTeX)

[tex] = \frac{1}{0.0006214 \times 3600} \, \, \, \frac{\textrm{mi} \cdot \textrm{m} \cdot \textrm{h}}{\textrm{h} \cdot \textrm{s} \cdot \textrm{mi} \cdot \textrm{s}} [/tex]

Now cancel out the units that are in both numerator and denominator, and you should be left with what you were trying to get (a good way to check if you did it right!). Until you gain more confidence, this is the most transparent and foolproof way to set up unit conversions. Note that multiplying by your conversion factors amounts to little more than clever ways of multiplying by 1.

Last edited:
Firstly thank you for replying, secondly, i also did the same thing that you did, but the answer given on the book was different to the one that I've found...That's why I've asked..

The book gave an answer like =0,427(m/s^2)(mi/h*s) but that equation didn't give the exact... Any ideas??

Multiply out cepheid's numbers from post #4. You can something close to, but not exactly, the 0,427 figure you give.

Ok, at least now I think that I did right. And yeah I don't get the 0,427 number...

What is the difference between converting dimensions and converting units?

Converting dimensions refers to changing the physical size or scale of an object, while converting units refers to changing the measurement used to describe the object (e.g. from inches to centimeters).

Why is it important to convert dimensions accurately?

Converting dimensions accurately ensures that measurements are consistent and can be compared across different systems or units. It also helps to prevent errors in calculations and ensures precision in scientific experiments.

How do I convert dimensions from one system to another?

To convert dimensions from one system to another (e.g. from metric to imperial), you will need to use conversion factors or formulas specific to the two systems. These can typically be found in conversion tables or online calculators.

Can dimensions be converted from one type of measurement to another?

Yes, dimensions can be converted from one type of measurement (e.g. length) to another (e.g. volume) as long as the units for each type are compatible. For example, you can convert inches (length) to cubic inches (volume), but not inches (length) to seconds (time).

What are some common mistakes to avoid when converting dimensions?

Some common mistakes when converting dimensions include using the wrong conversion factor or formula, not paying attention to units (e.g. mixing up feet and inches), and rounding errors. It is important to double check calculations and use reliable sources for conversion information.