1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about GPA for grad schools

1. May 9, 2010 #1
    At which year and what level of courses are GPA taken into consideration?

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2010 #2
    Depends on the school I think, I know mine starts taking it into account right off the bat

4. May 9, 2010 #3
    Oh wow seriously? I live in Canada, does that change anything?

5. May 9, 2010 #4
    I live in Canada to :P

6. May 9, 2010 #5
    Are you comfortable with telling me which institution you are from?

7. May 9, 2010 #6
    Bcit

8. May 9, 2010 #7
    It totally depends on the school as far as I know.

9. May 9, 2010 #8
    Oh okay...

10. May 10, 2010 #9
    Generally they look at all of the marks, but put more emphasis on the last two years. Your overall GPA matters though at most schools, if you have a 4.0 your last year, but a 2.5 total, you still won't get in, and I don't think that's a physics thing, its just a school of graduate studies thing which ultimately have to approve you for acceptance.

11. May 11, 2010 #10
    Depends on the school, because a friend of mine just got into grad school, and failed a course or two in first year. The prof said he hadn't even noticed (ie wasn't looking at his first year or even maybe second year courses). I think the emphasis is on your senior level courses; but each school is different.

but like someone said previously, I'd assume that if your overall was a 2.5, and your last year was a 4.0, you'd unlikely get in.

12. May 11, 2010 #11
    although there is a variance for each school and program, almost all physics grad schools in Canada require a B+ average over four years to apply.

13. May 12, 2010 #12
    I was curious about this as well due to my checkered transcript from my first degree. I originally went into business management and could not pass managerial accounting so I switched over to physics. From the two years of business curriculum I have a GPA of 2.29...ouch. But so far with all classes related to my degree in Physics I have a 3.96. Will they apply the grades from my business days or simply just pay attention to the grades I receive during my physics degree? Thanks

Joe

14. May 12, 2010 #13
    I am actually asking this because next year when I enter first-year university, I am not sure if I want to my AP credits to exempt me from courses. If I do, does that mean I have to get good grades on electives like languages or writing or history etc...?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook