Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about GPA for grad schools

1. May 9, 2010 #1
    At which year and what level of courses are GPA taken into consideration?

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2010 #2
    Depends on the school I think, I know mine starts taking it into account right off the bat

4. May 9, 2010 #3
    Oh wow seriously? I live in Canada, does that change anything?

5. May 9, 2010 #4
    I live in Canada to :P

6. May 9, 2010 #5
    Are you comfortable with telling me which institution you are from?

7. May 9, 2010 #6
    Bcit

8. May 9, 2010 #7
    It totally depends on the school as far as I know.

9. May 9, 2010 #8
    Oh okay...

10. May 10, 2010 #9
    Generally they look at all of the marks, but put more emphasis on the last two years. Your overall GPA matters though at most schools, if you have a 4.0 your last year, but a 2.5 total, you still won't get in, and I don't think that's a physics thing, its just a school of graduate studies thing which ultimately have to approve you for acceptance.

11. May 11, 2010 #10
    Depends on the school, because a friend of mine just got into grad school, and failed a course or two in first year. The prof said he hadn't even noticed (ie wasn't looking at his first year or even maybe second year courses). I think the emphasis is on your senior level courses; but each school is different.

but like someone said previously, I'd assume that if your overall was a 2.5, and your last year was a 4.0, you'd unlikely get in.

12. May 11, 2010 #11
    although there is a variance for each school and program, almost all physics grad schools in Canada require a B+ average over four years to apply.

13. May 12, 2010 #12
    I was curious about this as well due to my checkered transcript from my first degree. I originally went into business management and could not pass managerial accounting so I switched over to physics. From the two years of business curriculum I have a GPA of 2.29...ouch. But so far with all classes related to my degree in Physics I have a 3.96. Will they apply the grades from my business days or simply just pay attention to the grades I receive during my physics degree? Thanks

Joe

14. May 12, 2010 #13
    I am actually asking this because next year when I enter first-year university, I am not sure if I want to my AP credits to exempt me from courses. If I do, does that mean I have to get good grades on electives like languages or writing or history etc...?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook