1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about how vector direction affects equations

1. Oct 13, 2016 #1
    • New member warned that the homework template must be used
    Hi there,

I have a very basic maths problem that has highlighted a hole in my knowledge. I was answering the following question:

The vertices of a triangle are A, B, C, with position vectors a, b, c . Show that the area of the triangle ABC is 1/2|b×c+c×a+a×b|.

and got the answer as 1/2|(a*c) + (-a*b) + (-b*c)|

I know that a*c = -c*a

but that would mean when I attempt to get the answer given in the question by switching the letters so it reads:

1/2|(-c*a) + (-a*b) + (-b*c)| i have a load of minus values in there? because i'm taking the modulus shown by the | on either side, does this mean I can just ignore the minus signs?

cheers for your help!

seb

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Presumably you mean a X c = -c X a, and similar for the area formula you show. There are three different kinds of multiplication for vectors in R3: the cross product (denoted with X), the dot product (denoted with ##\cdot##), and multiplication of a vector by a scalar, as in ##c\vec{v}##. To avoid confusion in readers, use the standard notation for the cross product.
    I don't think so. Since all your vector products point in the opposite direction, as compared to the answer you showed above, I suspect that you did something wrong in your calculation. Please show how you got this result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted