Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about linear drag force

1. Jan 20, 2014 #1
    My classical mechanics textbook says that, for a projectile, the linear drag force is given by f = -bv and the second law is written as m[itex]\ddot{r}[/itex] = mg - bv (a second order differential equation) which can be rewritten as m[itex]\dot{v}[/itex] = mg - bv (a first order differential equation) because the forces depend only on v and not on r. But I can't figure out why this is the case. Doesn't v depend on r?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2014 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No. Velocity doesn't depend on location as such, only to the extent that location may effect some of the parameters.

4. Jan 20, 2014 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

##\mathbf v ## doesn't "depend" on ##\mathbf r## in the sense that it is some (unknown) function of ##\mathbf r## and probably some other variables as well.

The point is that ##\mathbf v## is just another name for ##\mathbf{\dot r}##, (that's what "velocity" means!) and differentiating, ##\mathbf{\dot v}## is identically equal to ##\mathbf{\ddot r}##.

5. Jan 20, 2014 #4
    Thank you, AlephZero. I believe I understand. I mean, I know that v is just another name for [itex]\dot{r}[/itex] and the like, I just thought it could be rewritten in terms of v for that reason. No one ever explained that this is true specfically because v did not "depend" on r... is it ever the case that v does depend on r?

6. Jan 20, 2014 #5
    sorry, didn't realize I wasn't bolding [itex]\dot{r}[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook