A Question about Pinter's A Book of Abstract Algebra

In summary, the person is currently doing self-study in Abstract Algebra and is using Pinter's text for a more enjoyable learning experience. They have completed the first 10 chapters and are wondering where they would be in terms of a book like Dummit & Foote if they complete Pinter's book. They also ask for recommendations for books similar to Pinter's in analysis, linear algebra, and topology. The responder suggests Aluffi for algebra, Abbott's "Understanding Analysis" for basic analysis, Needham for complex analysis, Axler for linear algebra, and Munkres or Mendelson for topology. They also mention that there may not be a truly inspired general topology textbook available.
jmjlt88
Hello all,

I am currently doing a self-study in Abstract Algebra. I was a math major in college (not so long ago), so I have some exposure to upper level math. For one reason or another, I wanted to go back and re-learn Abstract. I was using Fraleigh until I discovered Pinter's text which is much more fun! Right now, I am through the first 10 chapters.

My question is, if I complete this book in its entirity [not EVERY exercises, but certainly a good sampling from each chapter], where would I be in terms of a book like Dummit & Foote?

Thanks.

Also, any recommendations for book similar (same level) in analysis, linear algebra, or topology to Pinter's would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are some of my favourite, well-written, highly-motivated math books. There are other excellent books, but these would be more "Pinter-style," if you like. These books are not as good for reference because of the conversational style, but they are good for learning.

For algebra, if you are comfortable with everything in Pinter, I would recommend Aluffi:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0821847813/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It is the most "motivated" upper-level Algebra book I have found and incorporates categories from the beginning. Dummit & Foote is decent, but some parts are better than others. At upper levels each author has a unique style which can be good or bad depending on your learning style, your current level, and the subject they are covering.

For (very basic) analysis, I like Abbott's "Understanding Analysis." If you have a math degree, it might be too basic, though. It has a very nice approach to the underlying questions of analysis.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1441928669/?tag=pfamazon01-20

For complex analysis, nothing beats Needham. It is not an "easy" book, but it is superb.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0198534469/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Linear algebra doesn't have as clear a winner. Micromass has a good review of the main books on his blog. I like Axler, but it has a strong "flavour" and not everyone likes it. Take a look in the library and see what you think.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387982582/?tag=pfamazon01-20

For topology, a lot of people recommend Munkres. It is solidly written and very thorough, but I found it doesn't give much of an overview as it wades through the material. Although not as conversational as Pinter, the small Dover book by Mendelson is a good (brief) intro. Again, if you have done topology in the past, it might not be the right book for you.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486663523/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I would love to hear if there is a truly inspired general topology text out there. I have glanced through a lot of the standard books and many seem decent, but none seemed outstanding.

Likes etumon

1. What is "A Question about Pinter's A Book of Abstract Algebra"?

"A Question about Pinter's A Book of Abstract Algebra" is a mathematical question or exercise that is found in the textbook "A Book of Abstract Algebra" by Charles C. Pinter.

2. Is "A Question about Pinter's A Book of Abstract Algebra" a difficult question?

The level of difficulty of "A Question about Pinter's A Book of Abstract Algebra" may vary depending on the individual's understanding of abstract algebra. However, it is generally considered to be a challenging question that requires a solid understanding of the subject.

3. Can "A Question about Pinter's A Book of Abstract Algebra" be solved using different methods?

Yes, there are often multiple ways to approach and solve "A Question about Pinter's A Book of Abstract Algebra". This allows for a deeper understanding of the concepts and techniques used in abstract algebra.

4. Can "A Question about Pinter's A Book of Abstract Algebra" be applied in real life?

While abstract algebra may seem abstract and theoretical, its concepts and techniques have many applications in fields such as cryptography, computer science, and physics. So, "A Question about Pinter's A Book of Abstract Algebra" may have real-life implications and uses.

5. Is "A Question about Pinter's A Book of Abstract Algebra" suitable for all levels of mathematicians?

"A Question about Pinter's A Book of Abstract Algebra" is a question that is typically found in an introductory or intermediate level abstract algebra course. Therefore, it may be more suitable for those with some prior knowledge of the subject. However, with dedication and effort, anyone can attempt to solve this question.