1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about restrictions of inverse functions

1. Mar 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi. I found in the answears that the inverse of function [itex]f(x)=3-\sqrt{x-2}[/itex] is [itex]f^{-1}(x)=(3-x)^{2}+2[/itex] only if we restrict it to [itex]{x:x\leq3}[/itex]. I understand that the restriction is needed because the found inverse is a parabola (and thus not one-to-one function).

My general question (1): how to know/find out algebraically (without drawing graphs) the needed restrictions? Is there a general way, or some intuition?

My special question (for the above case) (2): can I chose the restriction [itex][x:x\geq3][/itex]?

3. The attempt at a solution

No attempt since I regard this as a general mathematical knowledge question.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

To find the domain and range of the inverse, look at the range and domain of the original function. Notice that I reversed the order.

For your problem, the domain of f is x >= 2, and the range of f is y <= 3. The reason that y has to be <= 3 can be seen from the formula, f(x) = 3 - √(x - 2). Here, we are subtracting a positive number from 3, so the function value (y) can be no larger than 3.

Since the domain and range of f are, respectively, x >= 2 and y <= 3, the domain and range of f-1 are, respectively, x <= 3 and y >= 2.

4. Mar 4, 2012 #3
    Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook