1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about Sequence Space

1. Oct 20, 2009 #1
    1. Show that Ao, the collection of all cylinders of all rank is a field.

A cylinder of rank n is a set of the form { w∈S^∞ : R1(w)R2(w)......Rn(w) ∈ H}
    where H is a set of n-long sequences of elements of S. That is H is a subset of S^n

Example:
    now think about a toss a coin question.
    0(tail=fail) and 1(head = success)
    here Ai is the event that ith toss is a head
    A1= { w: R1(w)∈{1}}
    A2= { w: R1(w)R2(w)∈{11,01}
    A3= { w: R1(w)R2(w)R3(w)∈{111,101,011,001}
    .so all the Ai are cylinder sets.

Now my question is let Ao be the collection of all cylinders of all rank, then is Ao a field ?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You're not likely to get a reply other than this one if you don't show some attempt at your problem.

4. Oct 20, 2009 #3
    I changed my question with more details.
    I think to show this collection is a field, I have to show the complements of each elements is again in this set and the union of each element is also in this set. But I think this properties are for sigma field. Are they valid also for field ?

Or to show just that

A and B be two elements of this set then I have to show that A union B is also in this set and
    when A is an element of this set its complement is also in this set

is enough for field ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook