Vector fields and line equations Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an equation perpendicular to two given lines and passing through a given point, as well as finding the coordinates of points of intersection with specific planes and parametrizing the line segment between these points. The cross product of the two lines results in a perpendicular line, and setting specific equations leads to a point (-1, 0, 0) which is the parametrization of the line segment. There may be a typo or trick question in the book, as the line only intersects the x-axis at x=-1.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

We are giving to lines:
r1(t)=<1-t,4,5+2t>
r2(s)=<2,1+s,-s>

1. Find an equation perpendicular to the two lines and passing point P(1,1,1)
2. Find Coordinates of points of intersection of the line found in #1 with planes x=-1, xz-plane
3. Parametrize the line segment joining these two points.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so #1 should be relatively easy. It's merely taking the cross product of the two lines in terms of their coefficients of the slope.
My cross product of this came out to be <-2,-1,-1> So the perpendicular line is r3(w)=<1-2w,1-w,1-w)

#2 is where things get weird.
So I set 1-2w=-1 to solve for the plane x=-1. This results in w=1 which makes r3(1)=(-1,0,0)

For the xz-plane I set y=0 so I set 1-w=0. This means that w=1 and I have the same result of (-1,0,0).

Proceeding to #3, I then get a weird result of <-1,0,0>

My question is: Where did I mess up? I assume I messed up because why would they ask a question that results in this manner. I have a feeling I messed up in part #2 where I said the xz-plane must mean y=0. What could I have done differently here?

Or is my cross product miscalculated ? (I think I've checked on it multiple times..)

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

We are giving to lines:
r1(t)=<1-t,4,5+2t>
r2(s)=<2,1+2,-2>
Unfortunately, we cannot yet check your work, due to the missing variable of s in the parametrization of r2.

Likes RJLiberator
Ah, I apologize. The last two 2's were supposed to be "s". I have now fixed it.

Thank you.

RJLiberator said:
Ah, I apologize. The last two 2's were supposed to be "s". I have now fixed it.

Thank you.
In that case, your work checks out fine. Perhaps the book has a typo, or it is a trick question where you really are supposed to "parametrize" the line between (-1, 0, 0) and itself with r(t) = (-1, 0, 0). :-)

Interesting.

So my understanding of the xz plane where y must be = 0 is correct in this case and they are equal to each other.

A trick question!
And therefore the parametrization is r(t)=<-1,0,0>

Since the parametrization is r(t)=<-1,0,0>
Does this line intersect the z-axis or x-axis? If so, can we find the point of intersection?

This is just a point that is on the x-axis at x=-1. Correct?

RJLiberator said:
Since the parametrization is r(t)=<-1,0,0>
Does this line intersect the z-axis or x-axis? If so, can we find the point of intersection?

This is just a point that is on the x-axis at x=-1. Correct?
Yes. It is a single point, and only "intersects" the x-axis. This isn't a remarkable feat particular to points; many lines in 3 dimensions don't intersect any axis.

Likes RJLiberator
Excellent. Thank you kindly.

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept used to describe a quantity that has both magnitude and direction, represented by arrows at various points in space. It is often used to model physical phenomena, such as the flow of fluids or the direction of a magnetic field.

2. What is a line equation?

A line equation is a mathematical expression that describes a straight line on a graph. It typically takes the form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept.

3. How are vector fields and line equations related?

Vector fields can be used to create line equations by taking the path of a vector and finding the equation of the line that best fits that path. This can be useful in representing the direction and magnitude of a vector at different points in space.

4. What are some real-world applications of vector fields and line equations?

Vector fields and line equations are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They can be used to model fluid flow, electromagnetism, and even the motion of objects in space.

5. How can I solve problems involving vector fields and line equations?

To solve problems involving vector fields and line equations, you can use mathematical techniques such as calculus and linear algebra. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of coordinate systems and vector operations.