A question about Taylor Series

In summary: This sounds like it would be a pretty involved process. Do you think you could do it?This sounds like it would be a pretty involved process. Do you think you could do it?I'm not sure. I might have to look that up. Thanks for trying though!I'm not sure. I might have to look that up. Thanks for trying though!
Artusartos
Find the Taylor series for cosx and indicate why it converges to cosx for all x in R.

The Taylor series for cosx can be found by differentiating [itex] sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^k (x^{2k+1})}{(2k+1)!}[/itex] on both sides...

But I'm not sure what the question means by "why it converges to cosx for all x in R". Isn't that just obvious, since the summation equals cosx...it obviously converges to it...

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Artusartos! :smile:

Maybe they're asking you to prove the radius of convergence.

(you could try comparing it with the definition of eix)

tiny-tim said:
Hi Artusartos! :smile:

Maybe they're asking you to prove the radius of convergence.

(you could try comparing it with the definition of eix)

Thanks. I'm not sure how I can compare it to e^(ix), but this is how I did it:

I just found [tex] lim |\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}|[/tex] and got infinity as the radius of convergence...

yes, that should do! :smile:

(and look carefully, and you'll se that the cosx series is the real part of ∑ (ix)n/n! :wink:)

Be careful here! Showing that the radius of convergence is infinity shows that it converges for all x. That alone does not show that it converges to cos(x).

HallsofIvy said:
Be careful here! Showing that the radius of convergence is infinity shows that it converges for all x. That alone does not show that it converges to cos(x).

Thanks, but then what can I do to show that it converges to cos(x)?

Artusartos said:
Thanks, but then what can I do to show that it converges to cos(x)?

Euler's formula? :wink:
tiny-tim said:
(and look carefully, and you'll se that the cosx series is the real part of ∑ (ix)n/n! :wink:)

tiny-tim said:

Thanks but I'm not sure what you mean. Doesn't the fact that cosx is equal to the Taylor series imply that they all converge to cosx? :confused:

Artusartos said:
Doesn't the fact that cosx is equal to the Taylor series imply that they all converge to cosx? :confused:

if cosx is analytic, then yes

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analytic_function
A function is analytic if and only if it is equal to its Taylor series in some neighborhood of every point.​

but that's a rather circular answer …

there must be theorems that state when a function is analytic, but i can't offhand remember what they are :redface:

tiny-tim said:
if cosx is analytic, then yes

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analytic_function
A function is analytic if and only if it is equal to its Taylor series in some neighborhood of every point.​

but that's a rather circular answer …

there must be theorems that state when a function is analytic, but i can't offhand remember what they are :redface:

Thanks, but we didn't learn about analytic functions yet...

Artusartos said:
Thanks but I'm not sure what you mean. Doesn't the fact that cosx is equal to the Taylor series imply that they all converge to cosx? :confused:

The classic example is f(x) = exp(-1/x^2) for x ≠ 0 and f(0) = 0. The function has derivatives of all orders, which all → 0 as x → 0, so if we define f and all its derivatives to = 0 at x = 0, then f is infinitely differentiable with all derivatives continuous. Its Taylor series around x = 0 is identically 0, with an infinite radius of convergence), but of course, f(x) is not the zero function. In this case the convergent Taylor series fails to represent the function. There are fancier examples, I believe.

One way to proceed is to note that
[tex] f(x) = T_n(x) + E_n(x), [/tex]
where T_n(x)is the nth order Taylor polynomial and E_n(x) is the error. There are various formulas for E_n(x), and some of them may allow you to say whether or not you have E_n(x) → 0 as n → ∞ for all x, or at least for all x in an interval.

What is a Taylor Series?

A Taylor Series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, where each term is a derivative of the function evaluated at a specific point.

Why are Taylor Series important?

Taylor Series are important because they allow us to approximate complex functions with simpler polynomial functions, making it easier to study and analyze these functions.

What is the purpose of the remainder term in a Taylor Series?

The remainder term in a Taylor Series is used to measure the accuracy of the approximation. It represents the difference between the actual value of the function and the value of the Taylor Series at a given point.

How do you find the coefficients of a Taylor Series?

The coefficients of a Taylor Series can be found by taking the derivatives of the function at the specified point and plugging them into the formula for a Taylor Series.

When are Taylor Series most useful?

Taylor Series are most useful when dealing with functions that are difficult to integrate or differentiate, as they provide a way to approximate these functions without having to perform these operations.