1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question in different methods of a solution

1. Feb 8, 2008 #1
    i added the question and both solutions in the link

the solution that i was presented is totaly logical
    but when i solved it in a standart way it gave me a different answer

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I hope it is no surprise that your book is correct. Basically the problem is this: you have a linear transformation from 2 by 2 matrices to 2 by two matrices defined by :
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc} a & b \\ c & d \end{array}\right][/tex] mapped to [tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc} 0 & c \\ 0 & d \end{array}\right][/tex]

Yes, since a and b "disappear" they play no part in determining the kernel. The only non-zero terms in the resultant matrix are c and d. It they are 0, then the result is the zero matrix. What that means, then, is that a and b can be anything at all as long as c= 0 and d= 0. Taking a= 1, b= 0 gives the matrix
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array}\right][/tex]
    and taking a= 0, b= 1 gives the matrix
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc} 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array}\right][/tex]
    Those two matrices form a basis for the kernel.

I don't think it really makes sense to talk about "a and b don't matter in determining the Image". a and b are only in the matrix the transformation is applied to- not in the resultant matrix. Obviously, every matrix in the image have first column 0. The second column can be anything. A basis for the image is
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc} 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 1 \end{array}\right][/tex]
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc} 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{array}\right][/tex]

In your "totally logical" solution, you are applying a matrix to the 0 vector. The "kernel" of a transformation is the set of vectors that are mapped to the 0 vector, not that the 0 vector is mapped to. You are going the wrong way.

(Any linear transformation maps the 0 vector to the 0 vector.)
  4. Feb 8, 2008 #3
    i cant understand
    "not that the 0 vector is mapped to"

can you describe it a different words my mistake??
  5. Feb 9, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If Ax= y, then "A maps x to y".

x is in the kernel of A if and only if Ax= 0. That is, if "A maps x to 0".

For any linear transformation, A, A0= 0. That is "A always maps 0 to 0".

In your attempted solution you construct an 8 by 8 matrix and apply it to the 0 vector. Of course, you get the 0 vector. That has nothing to do with a "kernel" because that will always be true. It going the wrong way: you are seeing what 0 is changed into (mapped to) rather that seeing what gets changed to 0.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?